You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Should Indian National Congress party apologize for Rajiv Gandhi's infamous quote?

Nowadays, the politics is being practiced as usual due to a faux pax committed by the Congress party's West Bengal unit. On the occasion of the 72nd birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi, the West Bengal unit of the Congress tweeted the infamous quote of Rajiv Gandhi i.e. 'When a big tree falls, the earth shakes'.

When Indira Gandhi, the former Prime Minister of India and mother of Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards on 31.10.1984, riots began against the Sikh community in Delhi killing about 2,000 Sikhs. Rajiv Gandhi had taken over as PM soon after Indira Gandhi was killed. When he was asked about the riots, he uttered the infamous quote.

Now the congress party is embarrassed and the opponent political parties are demanding an apology from the party.

Should Indian National Congress party apologize for Rajiv Gandhi's infamous quote?
    Can anybody dare to ask the 'Queen Mother' and the 'Prince' of the Congress to apologize for the infamous comment made by Rajiv Gandhi in 1984 after his mother's assassination? Manmohan Singh, a true gentleman, has already apologized for the anti-Sikh riot. Nothing can be expected from the President and the Vice President of the old party.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

In politics uttering out of contest is the habit and later the same politician would say that media took his observation other way and wrongly reported. Same will be the reply of Congress party in this case. Having lost his mother at the hands of a Sikh, having perturbed over the same he might have uttered that sentence. Moreover Rajiv Gandhi is no more and the issue is useless to discuss now.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

When a person is no more, what his infamous quotes have ? It is ridiculous for the opposition parties to demand an apology from the Congress party. Politicians have no other job to perform except to dig the past and the criticise the dead.
    No life without Sun ¤

#576266: Mr. Sun, please don't forget that Rajiv Gandhi tried to indirectly justify the anti-Sikh pogrom by this comment. More than 3000 innocent Sikhs died and more than 20000 families lost everything in this riot. Even today, the main culprits are free and are trying to become MPs.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

What's wrong in the statement? Had anyone heard or read the complete text of his speech? His speech was in general context and someone with maligning intentions tried to link a part of the speech to Delhi riots. Moreover, it is just like asking a son now to own responsibility for a wrong utterance of word made by his late father! I agree with the views offered by Sun in this regard.

Someone may question whether I had gone through the text of the speech. Yes, I am sure. I was doing my graduation when the big tree had fallen and we were attentively hearing to All India Radio and the flash news was Rajiv had sworn in as Prime Minister. It was quite surprising to hear and Rajiv's address to the nation followed. He said Indira was mother not only for him but to the entire nation. When a big tree falls, it is quite natural that the earth surrounding gets shaked, he added. He continued that he won't spare anyone who indulges in untoward incidents as per the reports coming in, as a Prime Minister. It was a matured and statesman like speech by a member of a bereaved family.

Let us not talk like politicians who try to find some political gain in every word. Let us recall the complete text of the speech.

Regards,
    Jagdish

We never talk like politicians. Instead, we learn through threadbare discussions on various national issues of topical interest.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Mr kailash, do you really think that Rajiv was trying to justify the anti-Sikh riots? Why choose only those lines that suit your taste? Given the status that Indira Gandhi enjoyed as a national leader (which no one till date could reach up to) I don't think he needed to justify anyone.

I agree that there was an outburst against Sikhs and that cannot be justified but do not forget the situation when Punjab could be equated with Kashmir. I do not support action against any particular religion or caste, whether it is Muslims in Kashmir or Sikhs in Punjab.

There may be counter arguments but let us be true to facts instead of trying to politicize the same. No one wins in the game!

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Rajiv Gandhi was a novice to the Indian politics when he took oath as the Prime Minister of India. Perhaps, at that time he was not fully aware of as to what it means by being a Prime Minister of the world's largest democracy. He should have avoided saying - 'for every rupee sent to the common man, only 17 paise reached him' also, though it was entirely a different context.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think we need to approach such issues more seriously. Knowingly or unknowingly, what we write is going to become part of history and so, we need to be cautious. Let us not pick up lines from here and there for the sake of discussion. We need to be true to ourselves. If at all a point need to be conveyed, let us make an effort to do it convincingly and judiciously.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Well, I am not aware of any of this speech etc,. But, my answer is a no. Why should someone apologize for a comment made by another person, who is no more? Even if he had made an offensive comment, which is not the case here (analysis from above responses), I don't think his family should apologize, that too after so many years. There is no logic in opposition parties demanding an apology from the congress party.

Mr. Rajiva Gandhi was an ex- Prime Minister, he should not have given such type of statement which created controversy in the political arena. When a big tree falls, the earth shakes'. and for every rupee sent to the common man, only 17 Paise reached him' statements are true but should not be tell.

Regards
    N K SHARMA
    'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

Sign In to post your comments