You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

World record: PM Modi’s suit sold at Rs 4.3 crore!

A suit worn by Prime Minister Narendra Modi that gathered worldwide fame for having his name embroidered all over it has entered the Guinness World Records after selling for a record sum. The Prime Minister was ridiculed on social media by some so-called intellectuals for the tailored, pin-striped suit, which he wore during a meeting with the US President Barack Obama on a visit to India in January 2015.
    When images of the Prime Minister were enlarged, it became clear that the subtle gold stripes were made up of the words 'Narendra Damodardas Modi' written in tiny letters. The personalised suit has been bought by diamond tycoon, Laljibhai Patel, in Gujarat last year for Rs 4,31,31,311 (Rs 4.31 crore or US$ 6,42,426) in an auction held at Surat. This has now entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the most expensive suit.
    The entire proceeds from the auction were donated to the 'Namami Gange' Fund, a project to clean up the River Ganges.
    Let me respond in a different genre.

Many of us in India believe that by taking a holy dip in the Ganges, all sins are washed away. So donating the auction amount to the 'Namami Ganga' project seems to have some analogy though nothing like a sin was there in the whole episode related to Modi's suit.

The following is a list some other costumes sold/auctioned at unusual prices -
    1. The most expensive saree was adorned with gold, diamond, platinum, sapphire, coral to pearls and emeralds. It took 4760 man hours in preparing it and the saree costed Rs. 39 lakh in the year 2008.
    2. A dress worn by Marilyn Monroe in 'The Seven Year Itch' raised Rs 30 crore at an auction.
    3. A glove worn by Michael Jackson fetched Rs 2.8 crore in an auction in the year 2009.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

When I read this post I really got annoyed first but later on after reading the entire content I got convinced that the so called costly suit which has the inscription of our PM Modi was sold for the whooping 4.3 cr and that proceeds has been donated to Clean Ganga project and that is really welcome. By the way every move of our Prime Minister is being closely watched by the International media and social media and even for small difference they could found, that has been reported with big coverage. The way Modi takes selfies with the students and others while on foreign tour was also covered well and this also among the the same.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I always think and get impressed by the various ways our Prime Minister is arranging funds for his dream projects!
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I just saw the photos and observed the suit. Though I couldn't identify our prime minister's name, I saw the gold stripes. The designer must be appreciated. Coming to the point, I think Rs. 4.3 crore is way too much for a suit. Some people with lot of wealth spend their money like this without thinking. Some years back, a comic book of cost 12 cents (in 1962) in near perfect condition was purchased for 1.1 million dollars (in 2011). Anyways, using the 4.3 crores for 'Namami Gange' i.e. to clean the river Ganges is appreciable.

#576348 (Krishna sir) Not only too much but it is far beyond that, we know that it is a suit of a Prime minister but thou still the coast of that particular suit price is touching the highest peak of a mountain. From this we can know how much popular our prime minister Modi is, even his personal stuffs are expensive. This is a trend of Modi, and I personally feel that there is no one other like Modi because as much famous he becomes now, it will be very difficult for the other party to take his position.
    live happily in every situation of life

Have you been listening to conservationists that Ganga cannot be cleaned? Modi's suit might have entered the Guinness book and he might have arranged (the buyer being from Gujarat) the sale at such an exorbitant prize but to visualize a clean Ganga with the proceeds or even added funds appears to be a distant dream. Environmentalists are calling for steps to stop the Ganges bed from drying out; Modi's self-advertising coat or his influencing quotes cannot just help!
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Why we must talk ill about the clean Ganga project. Never in the history of Congress who rules for many years even thought about this idea and once Modi claimed this project, people started negative campaign against him but surely he is garnering support and funds much to the annoy of his detractors and the clean Ganges would be reality soon.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#576432: Some environmentalists say Ganga can't be cleaned, so we must not try.

In 1971, US President Nixon said that India would never be able to defeat Pakistan, so Indira Gandhi never tried.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

It is estimated that in the year 1600, the India's population was about 10 crores which remained so until the late 19th century. The first census was conducted in 1881 when the population was recorded as 25.5 crores. Presently the population of India is about 125 crores. The above figures give an indication of the growth in the quantity of sewage disposal in the Ganges. Take the example of only one city Kanpur on its bank. Its population was 10 lakh in the year 1841 which has risen to about 30 lakhs now. The population of Varanasi city is more than 15 lakh at present.
    I also subscribe to the view that the Ganges cannot be cleaned totally on a permanent basis , though efforts should be continued to reduce the pollution level.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments