You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

It is better if you know the pesticide percentage present in your brand cool drinks

The Indian Medical Association has released information regarding presence of pesticide percentage in various brands of cool drinks. As we are all habituated to one brand or the other cool drinks, please read this for your information and action.

Sprite has 15.3 %
    Thumps up has 15.2 %
    Coke has 13.4 %
    7 up has 12.5 %
    Pepsi has 10.9 %
    Mirinda has 10.7 %

So next time when you are opting for a cool drink for your self , or family or friends, please remind about these pesticide percentage and then purchase.
    Thanks Mohan Sir for sharing such informative news with us. It is not new information to us, but the astonishing matter is even after knowing all the side effects of cold drink people never forget to offer their guest. Indirectly people are offering poison to their guests. They're killing their own God (their guest) by themselves. The pesticides present in cool drink are completely slow poison; but it is too dangerous is taken more than 2ltr at time. During a funny competition, a student died due to excess intake of Coca-Cola. So, there is nothing funny in cool drink; please avoid such habits.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

The message was in circulation on Whatsapp and can be seen in the internet resources also. We have discussed in the past also that everything appearing on the internet is not always factually correct as it is likely to be a joke also. As the saying goes - 'all that glitters is not gold'. Similarly, everything which appears on the internet is not always correct.

The information posted by the author of the thread is patently absurd as far as I can understand. How a cold drink can contain up to 15% pesticides. I am not asking the author to cite the source as the author will simply cite the internet resource which is circulating the rumor. At the most, I can accept it as a joke originated in the context of Baba Ramdev's aggressive penetration in the Indian market causing unbearable inconvenience to the MNCs.

Any liquid containing 15% pesticide will be a pesticide instead of a cold drink. Are there no regulatory authorities in India?

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Thank You Mohan sir for sharing this information with other members. We should definitely stop drinking all this as chemicals and preservatives are added to it. I even heard that coke is used to clean toilet because of some of the chemicals added to it. People should be aware of all this harmful chemicals and should avoid drinking it. Also they should make their children aware of it as kids usually want all these drinks.

The total pesticide residues detected in various cold drinks should be in the units of 'ppb' not in the percentage. The unit 'ppb' means 'parts per billion' i.e. one part in 1 billion.

According to a report published in the year 2006, the total pesticide residues in PepsiCo products were 12.68 ppb, which is 25.4 times the BIS limit. The highest concentration of pesticide residues was detected in Pepsi Cola i.e. 15.2 ppb, which is 30.4 times the BIS standard for total pesticides.

I request the ISC management to discourage posting of misleading information in the forum section by the members without understanding the same and verifying the veracity of the information.

My starting sentence itself referred to the source from which this information was sent out and that is enough to be trusted.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

It was perhaps a prank. Somebody used the name of the Indian Medical association and made it a WhatsApp message. Pesticides presence in the percentage cited is improbable. A report is available at the following url -
    https://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/IMG/pdf/labreport2006.pdf

Mr. Mohan: Most probably the information furnished by you in this thread is fully factual. As for example, it is mentioned that Sprite contains 15.3% insecticides This much insecticide generally causes death. So, this may not be fully correct.
    Kindly re-check the facts.

Edit: The first sentence should be read as: Most probably the information furnished by you in this thread is not fully factual.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

For the information of the members they can also refer to this link http://www.cseindia.org/content/pesticides-soft-drinks-1
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Partha (#576414 ) - Perhaps your response needs editing in the part -'information furnished by you in this thread is fully factual'.

Yes; I have edited the first sentence.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Well, I don't bother whether the information is right or wrong. It is a fact that soft drinks contain pesticides. So, it is better to avoid soft drinks as far as possible. And, it is almost impossible to stop production of these soft drinks in India. Coca Cola is a very huge company and it owns about 500 brands and 3500 products. Some of them are Fanta, Limca, Thums Up, Minute Maid etc,. The company will do anything to continue its production. Hence, we should avoid drinking them ourselves without waiting for the government to ban them etc,.

Soft drinks should be avoided by all concerned as they mostly provide empty calories and harmful contaminants also at the same time. However, it is a duty of all members of ISC to try their best to post factual information only and in case due to a human error any incorrect information gets posted as sometimes happens with all of us unintentionally, then corrections should be incorporated as soon as possible.

There is no harm in consuming such soft drinks. No one dies after consuming Coca-cola, Miranda, Pepsi, 7 UP or Spirite. We know nothing about the pesticides in it. For that matter, even the mineral water sold in market is not pure. We do not know from which gutter they take water; filter it; purify it; and supply it in attractive bottles.

Don't overdrink any drink, even normal water. Drink is not injurious to health. Only overdrinking is very injurious and harmful to our health.

No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments