You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

Sakshi Mallik India’s flag bearer at Rio Olympic Closing Ceremony as PV Sindhu flies to Hyderabad

After winning silver medal in badminton, PV Sindhu immediately flied to Hyderabad from Rio de Janeiro. She could be the flag bearer at closing ceremony of Rio Olympic; but due to her absence the first and only one bronze winning medallist in wrestling from India Sakshi Mallik bear the flag during the closing event at Rio Olympic. The extravagant closing event was of three hours long with music and dance performed by lot of Brazilian artist. It was concluded with confetti and firework show; and the Olympic lamp handed over to Tokyo, the 2020 Olympic hoister. I wish all the Indian athletes to practice more and boost their winning spirit for next Olympic games at Tokyo.
    The legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand was the India's Flag bearer in the Olympics of 1936 and hockey player Balbir Singh is the only Indian player who has been given the honor twice in the year 1952 and 1956. The first female flag-bearer of India was Alpine skiing player Neha Ahuja at the 2006 Winter Olympics.

Ace shooter Abhinav Bindra has been the flag-bearer of India in the opening ceremony of the Rio Olympics. However, he could not win a medal and finished fourth.

Sakshi Malik age 23 years won the bronze medal in the 58 kg category as the first Indian female wrestler to win a medal at the Olympics. She has completed a master's degree in physical education from Maharshi Dayanand University in Rohtak and is employed with the Indian Railways in the commercial department of its Delhi division. She has been promoted from senior clerk to gazetted officer rank after winning the bronze medal at Rio Olympics.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

India has sent more than 120 players to Rio for this Olympics and it can be any one to bear the flag of the country at the closing ceremony. Once PV Sindhu won the silver medal, the gifts and glory has been reaching her in abundance and both the central and state governments wants to arrange official reception for her and today a big welcome meeting was organized at Gachibowli Stadium to honor her and earlier she was received with all state honors at Shamshabad airport. So keeping this grand reception in mind, Sindhu had the necessity to come early and Shakshi does the honor of flag bearing for our country at RIO closing ceremony.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#576353 : Thank you for the information Mr. Kailash Kumar. I am not aware of much of it.

I don't understand why P. V. Sindhu came back to India early is she can be the flag bearer at Rio Olympics closing ceremony. She received a grand reception when she came back to India. Yesterday, she and her coach P. Gopichand were honored in Telangana state at Gachibowli Stadium, Hyderabad. Today, they will be honored in Andhra Pradesh state. Let us hope that Indian athletes will win more medals in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

I also could not fathom the reasons of Sindhu returning only one day earlier than the grand closing ceremony of the Olympics. The most probable reason appears to be that they had confirmed itinerary for returning and it may not be possible to reschedule the same due to obvious traffic on all routes leading to and from Rio.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments