You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Another possible/impossible story: Part-II

New Delhi: Army Headquarter
    10 p.m.

Lieutenant General Abhijeet Chaterjee was loitering impatiently inside his chamber in the Army HQ. A brilliant electronics & telecommunication engineer from the prestigious Jadavpur University of Calcutta, he joined Indian Army 38 years ago immediately after obtaining his B.E. degree, despite severe opposition from his parents, relatives and teachers. He had been known in the Army for his innovative approach. During the severe resource crunch faced by Indian Army from 1991 to 1999, he made many brilliant innovations and managed to keep Signal Corps of Indian Army as one of the top signal corps of the world. He was also known for his unconventional ways of bringing out the best from his subordinates. When Col. Ranbir Singh entered his chamber and saluted, he immediately started without any preamble: "Ranbir, how did you feel when you got the message from the hijackers at the Amritsar ATC"? Col. Singh was astonished. The Lt. Gen. continued: "Didn't you feel ashamed while forwarding the demands of the hijackers to Army HQ? Didn't you feel insulted"? Col. Ranbir Singh replied affirmatively. His fair complexion turned crimson. The anger started creeping in.The Lt. Gen. looked at him and said: "Ranbir, time has come to avenge your insult. Just read this transcript."

Col. Singh read the transcript. After completion of his reading, Lt. Gen. Chaterjee resumed: "Did you know who is the handler? He is Azhar Masood Ahmed, the leader of the hijackers. He demanded ransom from you. Remember his mocking voice. Although we could finish the terrorists, we couldn't do anything to the hijackers. And also don't forget the huge ransom the Govt. had to pay. I repeat time for revenge has come."

Thereafter the Lt. Gen. briefed Col. Ranbir Singh for more than one hour. At last, he said: "Ranbir, you earlier worked in Keran Sector. You know the topography like palms of your hands. You also know the weather of the area-you understand the efficiency of the signal-catching instruments in that area. You are most eligible to do this job. Just do it!" Col. Ranbir Singh got up, saluted the Lt. General and left the room.

Next day, on the early morning, a special military plane flew from Palam Airport with Col. Ranbir Singh and some instruments. It reached Srinagar within one hour. From 15 Corps HQ at Srinagar, Col. Ranbir Singh took a helicopter and reached the border post with all special signal instruments with him.

In another hour, a gigantic IL-76 also flew from Palam Airport. The passengers of the giant air-lifter included two Lieutenant Generals-the Director General Military Operations (DGMO) and the Chief of Army Signal Corps. In addition, the Chief of Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), many engineers and technicians with numerous crates of heavy instruments in secure packing were the other passengers in the IL-76. The giant bird flew towards Udhampur, the Northern Command HQ.

.......(To be continued)
    Another nice episode Mr. Partha Kansabanik. As I am not aware of different positions in army etc., I couldn't understand the story completely. By the way, is Udhampur named after Sardar Udham Singh?

Army Officer rank in India:-
    1. Field Marshal (5 star; Generally given to outstanding Generals. In India, Field Marshal rank has been given only to Gen. Maneckshaw and Gen. Cariappa))
    2. General (4 star: Chief of Army Staff)
    3. Lieutenant General (3 star) [Among the Lt. Generals, Area Commanders are the senior-most]
    4. Major General (2 star)
    5. Brigadier (1 star)
    6. Colonel
    7. Lt. Colonel
    8. Major
    9. Captain
    10. Lieutenant
    11. 2nd Lieutenant

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Krishna - Udham Singh Nagar is a district in the state of Uttarakhand which was named in the year 1995 after the name of the legendary freedom fighter revolutionary Shaheed-i-Azam Sardar Udham Singh. Regarding the district Udhampur, it is not sure.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The city of Udhampur has been named after Raja Udham Singh. Udham Singh Nagar District in Terai region of Uttarakhand has been named after the famous revolutionary, Sardar Udham Singh, who was hanged in Britain in the year 1940.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments