You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Posting exact same headings and similar content what is your opinion about such threads?

Recently I have seen many threads raised in ISC which have exact same headings and contents as I saw while reading newspaper of the same date or one or two day earlier.
    And when I see same contents also on ISC it feels like I am reading the same newspaper again but translated or little altered and mofified.
    And I think it is wrong to have even same heading while sharing some information from any reference.
    What is your opinion about such threads?
    There are well-defined policies and guidelines of ISC for posting contents on the ISC. Copying and posting from any other resource constitute a violation of copyright law also.

Generally, new authors sometimes copy and post contents from other internet resources presuming that nobody will be able to detect the same. I have noticed few such contents in the past. There are many tools also to detect copied contents but generally by experience also such contents can be detected.

Many authors resort to such tactics as they are not able to conceive any creative idea to be floated in the form of a thread in the forum section. Since such authors have an irrepressible urge to post something to remain in the limelight or just to earn some points or earning a pie of the revenue share bonus, they resort to borrowing or steal the idea from other resources.

Editors do take some action in case they notice blatant violation or the policies and guidelines.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Well, I concur with thread author. I have seen a couple of forum threads that are copied straight away - word to word - from newspaper sites or such other sites. This has been more common with the threads that are based on daily news and happenings.

I had actually thought of posting a thread on this around a fortnight ago or so - when I saw a thread dealing with the proposed changes to the Censor Board. The information contained in the thread was an exact copy of what was posted on one of the popular news website.

As far as the guidelines go, you should not copy any content from ANY source. The content needs to be in your own words. I do hope the team takes some action in this regard.

Live....and Let Live...!

Whether the modified content is from news papers, Wikipedia or any source, it is not new to read here in ISC. However, I am not agree with Kailash who said that "generally new author " do that. I am sorry to say that even the so called most educated and so called senior in ISC also have this habit.

I don't know why some People do not look at their inside first and then make any comments for others.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Posting the exact verbatim of headline as appeared in the news paper or news channel is definitely not solicited in this site. There is no stoppage for any member to refer the source of any news and report here, but while doing so the heading must be created by author and that must connect with the content. Normally news papers gives catchy heading and they are well versed with that. We cannot copy the same heading and append here. In English there are different ways to write a same sentence and that prerogative must be used to avoid duplication of heading as appearing elsewhere.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments