You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Are you game for a GTA (Guess Title Author) forum contest?

I like Sun's idea of getting members to guess the author of just a thread title instead of a write-up. I will take this up as a contest for next month. I will give via email a single topic to some members who are regular forum participants and include also those who contribute articles. Members can then guess who could be the writers of those titles. I will organize it on a week day rather than on a Sunday and members will be given 24hrs. to guess, sending their answers to me via email only.

So how about a GTA (Guess Title Author) forum contest in September? Are you interested in the guessing game?

Suggestions also welcome!
    First of all, I appreciate the title. I played GTA games for years and I am one of the top players too. I am interested and am ready to test my guessing skills.

I am always ready to try. My motto in this regard is: "Try, try, try...... At least you would fail". I always tell this to myself: " Don't worry, Partha! You may fail along with some others. What's the big deal? Let your grey cells get the opportunity of some exercise, which your body muscles don't get!"
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

It could be fun with some technically or skill game. I appreciate Sun for his creative initiation for an interesting puzzle game. Hope other regular members will go with this idea of your's.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

I am a hungry ISCian who always look for ISC contests to eat and satisfy. I am game for it. Happy you have stolen the core of my thought. We have moved from GA > GO > GTA. We are likely to move further to GWA (Guess the Word Author)
    No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

The word commonly used today is not 'stolen' but inspired when music composers or fashion designers copy somebody else's work. Besides, I have given due credit to you with a link to your thread. If the contest does come to fruitation, you will also get the cash credits which we generally give to a member whose suggestions/idea is taken up for a contest.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

I welcome the announcement made by Sun, a very senior member of ISC, regarding GTA (Guess Title Author) forum contest in September. I will participate in the same in case I find it interesting.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Vandana,
    The word 'stolen' is a lovely word . Don't we say " You have stolen my heart?'. Here, you have stolen a thing that came out from my heart. I have lost something, and you have gained something. So, the word stolen fits me, and the word inspire fits you.
    Sun: Madam, you have stolen my theme and brought me to the limelight.
    Vandana: Sun, I was inspired by your theme and would get you the credit.

No life without Sun ¤

Good contest are always welcome and I am also giving my consent to participate. By the way getting inspired from the Sun's idea is one way a credit to that member for the wonderful concept.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Yes, it is a good idea, it will create a strong bonding with the other members to know there writings style and idea more clearly, I think it is like a game and who don't like to play games, in the way we are playing game and on the same note we are increasing our knowledge too. And one more question does we member will get anything after giving a right answer and if don't then who cares it is indeed so interesting that no gifts are required, one more interesting things are getting to add in this beautiful site and that is GTA .
    live happily in every situation of life

Good idea. I will surely participate in it. A contest with a different format should always be welcome.
    Live....and Let Live...!

Waiting for the announcement of the contest! I am sure that the Managing Editor would definitely clarify the rules of the contest prior to that. I am also secretly praying that the first contest would be relatively easy.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I have a query - should I give one single topic to all the members I select or give them different topics, the way I did for the write-ups for the earlier Guess the Author contests?
    Regards,
    Vandana

#577150: I feel that different topics should be given to individual Members. This would make the contest more interesting. Of course the ultimate decision will be taken by the Managing Editor.

In my opinion, giving a single topic will be more appropriate instead of giving different topics to different members.

The participants will have to primarily guess the author based on their writing styles and the kind/quality of the theme/thought. Giving different topics will complicate the contest as happened in the case of 'guess the author' contest.

Also, since the 'thread titles' will be imaginary one created by the contest organiser instead of the actual author himself/herself, it will be more challenging to created many thread titles truly reflecting the essential writing attributes of the respective authors.

The degree of complexity may be increased in phases subsequently based on feedback received from the contestants.

My suggestion;
    ME should write only one paragraph on a specific topic and mail it to her choice members inviting suitable title for the paragraph through e-mail. After receiving the titles, ME should raise the contest thread containing the original paragraph; the list of titles; the list of authors including one dummy author in a jumbled order. Else, she may make it as 'Match the following' by giving the title on a side and the authors on the other side in a jumbled order.

No life without Sun ¤

I would like more feedback from other members too before taking a final decision.
    Regards,
    Vandana

My final comment is that the thread titles may be selected from the real threads posted by the authors in the past, may be several years ago, as synthesizing thread titles on behalf of the other authors may result in the authors concerned disassociating themselves with the title later. However, this system will have a limitation in the sense that the title will be searchable. Another option may be to abandon the idea at all.

Mr. Kailash Kumar,

When threads can be found using the search box, it is obviously not a good suggestion in the first place so why put it forth?!

I did not understand what you meant by 'synthesizing thread titles on behalf of the other authors' - the member selected will send me the thread title on the topic I give and I will post the list of all the titles. That is all there is to it. Neither will I be changing the title in any manner nor will there be anonymous authors posting it. So please explain that statement.

As for abandoning the idea, well I would not have come up with the idea in the first place if I had no intention of organizing it. Me, the never-give-up girl!!!

Regards,
    Vandana

Vandana,
    Why not ISC give a chance to Mr Kailash to conduct a contest on trial basis.

Also,I don't understand why Kailash is interested in abandoning the contests which members long for it. If the contest is not of his taste, he should stay away from the contest rather than suggesting to abandon a lovely contest.
    Vandana, You should announce the contest without any delay.

No life without Sun ¤

If same topic is given to all the members, then it will create a confusion of sorts. The contest will become difficult, members might get disinterested and nobody will be able to guess all the correct answers. I think that giving different topics to different members will be a better idea.

One topic and the title chosen for it will certainly give an opportunity to read the mindset of a member whom the ISCian must have experienced. It is a contest to bring out the writing/thinking style of ISCian.
    No life without Sun ¤

Vandana (#577522) - Your plan of interacting with the members and obtaining the title from them was not known to me. I was under impression that the scheme is like what was done by the author Sun in his similar contest. He synthesized all the titles himself and assigned even my name to one such title. I found nothing characteristic of my style of writing in that particular title.

I would suggest a single topic for uniformity and ease of comparison. As a variety I welcome the GTA contest also. For the sake of it, I shall also make my guess if I am not otherwise occupied or miss the event.
    ==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have decided to go ahead with the separate topics as per my original plan which is already in place with the list of topics. Once you see the contest titles & the contest instructions, you will perhaps understand the uniqueness! I will start contacting the members via email and get things started and will announce when everything is ready for members' participation.

This thread can be closed now.

Regards,
    Vandana

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.