You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Indian superstitions and the reason behind them

Most of the Indian superstitions seems senseless, however they have a great meaning behind that.
    Here I'm going to give some examples, hope you aware of it and consider them scientifically not superstitiously.
    1. Eating sweet curd before going out for good luck.
    - It helps oneself to be cool and calm
    2. Don't go nearby banyan tree during night.
    - To be safe from excess inhaling of carbon dioxide.
    3. Taking bath after attending a funeral.
    - To be safe from infection from the deceased.
    4. Don't stepping out during an eclipse
    - To avoid harmful to eye and eyesight.
    5. Swallow Tulsi leaves, don't chew
    - To prevent degradation of the enamel from the arsenic in tulsi.
    6. Not to sleep north facing head
    - To prevent from cardiovascular diseases that causes due to asymmetric earth's magnetic field.

Members let us know if you know any more Indian superstitions with any scientific reasons.
    Before offering my comments on the thread I have to request the author to conduct further research regarding the point mentioned about presence of 'arsenic' in tulsi leaves as arsenic is known to have toxic effects and even if the same is not chewed and gulped as a whole, the arsenic will invariably be released in the digestive system and have its adverse effect on the human body system.

Regarding the other points, it is a fact that few beliefs which are continuing since ages are likely to have certain logic behind that. Though there were no scientific methods in ancient times but over a period of time through the process of trial and error humans learned few things and started practicing the same.

The practice of cleaning the body by taking a bath after returning from funeral rituals is self-explanatory and same is the case with the practice of thoroughly cleaning the house etc. after the dead body is taken out.

However, there are many superstitions which have no logic behind that and are practiced blindly e.g. a cat crossing the road is still considered a ban omen.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Elders always used to give best advise to the children but they fail to give reasoning for their advise. But on seeing this thread surely those who are talking against superstitions would also agree with the reasoning given for it.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Well, I am a person who believe that almost every superstition has a scientific reason. This thread is enough to support my thinking. Some beliefs and their scientific reasons I know are:
    1) Start eating with spicy foods and end eating with sweets - Spicy foods activate the digestive juices and acids so that digestive process is smooth whereas sweets pull down the digestive process.
    2) Do not bath immediately after eating - Cold water activates certain chemicals in the body and they slow down the digestive process significantly.
    3) Doing sit ups in front of god - The body posture while doing sit ups helps to synchronize the left and right parts of the brain. It is called super brain yoga scientifically.
    There are scientific reasons even behind the superstitions which seem illogical. By the way, Mr. Naresh Kumar Behera : I would like to know more about the arsenic content in Tulasi.

Krishna - A few resources mention about the presence of mercury in the tulsi leaves and the reason of not chewing the leaves has been cited as mercury which damages the teeth. However, one very obvious resource has mentioned about the presence of arsenic as the reason and perhaps the author of the thread is inspired by that resource.
    As a matter of fact, the presence of heavy metals in plants depends on the soil and water of the area where plants are grown as the plants draw nutrients from and soil and water for growth. The dissolved impurities of water go into the plant system.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Our forefathers had plenty of knowledge as far as scientific way of life is concerned. That is why they put forth several dos and dont's. However, they were aware that the real scientific reasons would not force people to follow them. Having an understanding that people fear God, and many other so called supernatural powers (both evil and beneficial), they formulated a theory around theses guidelines and thus they acquired the form of superstition.

The guidelines have specific method of observing them. What we see these days is people blindly follow the traditions without going through the actual additional requirements. That makes the superstitions what actually they are.

Some more examples to add to the list already done above,

1. Pressing your palms together in the Namaskar Mudra is said to press the points of the fingers and thus activate the pressure points of eyes, ears and brain. This would help in remembering the person before you better.

2. Applying sindoor on forehead has the reasoning that it activates sexual drive. The genuine sindoor consists of turmeric, lime and mercury. That is probably why widows do not use sindoor.

3. Worshipping a Peepal tree also has relation to its special properties. Peepal is known to produce or emit Oxygen even at night. Our elders wanted this tree to flourish and hence associated it with God.

Live....and Let Live...!

For every items which were prohibited by the elders in the ancient time were backed with scientific explanations such as not sleeping facing head in the north direction, to drink water in the standing position, not stepping out during eclipse. They lacked the scientific explanation and simply they asked for the follow - up. However, their instruction carried some worth while meaning although they did not have the logical background to substantiate the same. However, in the backdrop of science, we can trace out the legitimate reason for the same.

Our elders told many advises like these and our youngsters and so called wisemen mock them and ignores as superstitions. But we should believe that there are some meaning in such sayings. Another example is 'If make noise of the bolt in the door, quarrel will raise' - Thaazhppalai Osaippaduththinaal sandai varum' this is because if the house people are busy and children doing such noise means they will get angry and shout or beat the child and thereby quarrel will get raised.
    In those days in many houses the cleanliness were followed well in the name of 'aachaaram' which was then mocked by many and now the same is followed in the name of hygienic - by seeing this we are all laughing.

Well the author had described his statements by giving scientific reason behind the superstitions. There are many more than these but it is also true that not every superstitions are blind faith, yes they have some amount of scientific reason behind that and it is also true that not every superstitions have scientific reason behind that, there are also some superstitions which are blind faithed. one of which I know is that using lemon and green chillies to avert buri nazar also has scientific reason and that is it has encouraging consumption because it is rich in several nutrients.
    live happily in every situation of life

Sign In to post your comments