You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

How Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated in your city?

This year Ganesh Chaturthi festival is falling on September 5, 2016. Though the festival is celebrated almost all over India but, it is particularly popular in the states of Maharashtra and Telangana.

Historically, Indian freedom fighter and social reformer Lokmanya Tilak played a key role in popularising Ganesh Chaturthi as a national festival and generating nationalistic fervour in the people of India.

The television media has also played an important role in its popularisation and nowadays even in the smaller cities and towns in the north India, mandaps are decorated and the Ganesha idol is installed followed by the immersion of the idols in rivers, the sea or other bodies of water on 1,1.5, 3, 5, 7 or 11 days.

How the Ganesha Chaturthi festival is celebrated in your city?
    Attention: Editors - I experimented with the 'Related Keywords' link and selected the keyword 'Ganesh' . Several options appeared out of which I selected 'Ganesh Chaturthi' and 'Ganesh Chaturthi Celebrations' and added. But the 'Related Threads' as seen above are showing something else.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes Ganesh Chathurthi festivities are special to Hyderabad as the whole city would be celebrating the great festival for whole nine days and the highlight of the festival would be the tallest standing Ganesh installed at the Khairatabad area and the sitting Ganesh kept at Secunderabad YMCA. For this festivities the Hussain sagar would be known as Ganesh sagar as all the 10,000 idols kept elsewhere across the city would be immersed under the organized and well planned route by Ganesh Utsav Samithi and helped by Hyderabad Police. This is the only festival where in all the religions and communities would participate with much interest and devotion and thus total friendly atmosphere could be seen. Street Ganesh pandals are set up according to the contributions received from the donors and thus for many these 10 days would be busy as each one is delegated with one responsibility or the other.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

In Tamilnadu, we call it as 'Vinayaka Chathurthi' only. Lord Vinayaga or Vigneswara is the number one God. He has a permanent temple in each and every street corner. Tamilnadu doesn't celebrate the day like Maharastra. We celebrate it more at home than in the public. We don't spend money on Ganesh idols. The immersion ceremony is a rare scene to watch in Tamilnadu.

What we do is - Since Lord Ganesh is a good eater, He like Laddus, Kolukkatai(Modak)Aval Pori, (Rice flakes) Sundal Chana Dal fry) and fruits. We offer it to Lord and then eat it and distribute it to our neighbours.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Kailash Kumar,

Thanks for the alert. We have informed the Webmasters about the related threads issue.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

In West Bengal, Ganesh Chaturthi is generally celebrated by non-Bengali population. Bengalis perform Ganesh Puja before every Puja. Specifically Lord Ganesh is worshiped on the Bengali New Year (generally falls on 14/15th April), as it is believed that Lord Ganesh would grant 'Riddhi' and 'Siddhi' to the worshipper.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

We all know that Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated all over India with lots of love on god Ganesh but we also know that the celebration of god Ganesh has a grand celebration in Mumbai especially, whereas about my state, in West Bengal Durga Puja is celebrated as a grand festival, Ganesh puja is also celebrated but not that much grand as Durga puja, it is most important puja of Hindu as from the childhood we have learn that no puja will be consider successful unless we don't celebrated Ganesh puja.
    live happily in every situation of life

Thank you Kailash Kumar for reporting the error at #576938 . This problem has been existing for a long time but could not figure out the source of the problem. After seeing your comments, I decided to dig deep into it and finally figured out the cause. The issue is fixed now. Now it's a matter of we all add the related keywords to all relevant posts and they will appear correctly.
    regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Thank you Webmaster Tony for taking pains to take care of the glitch. I further experimented and found that by using the 'Related Keywords' feature, only the threads and responses posted in the forum section will get linked, not the other resources i.e. articles etc. with the same keywords which appears logical also.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments