You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Important: Haji Ali Dargah is again open for Muslim women!

Women devotees were earlier allowed till 2011 to pray in the Haji Ali Dargah of Mumbai. The entry of the women devotees were banned in the inner sanctum of the Dargah siting various religious reasons. A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed on 28 July by women activists Noorjehan Niaz and Zakia Soman from the NGO named Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan, challenging the ban on the entry of women into the inner sanctum of the Haji Ali Dargah. This PIL then led to a historic judgment, by the Bombay High Court on Friday (yesterday-26th August, 2016), which signifies a shift in Indian society for a just and fair world order, where women would be treated as equal.

This is a significant judgement with far-reaching impact. Let's welcome this judgement of the Bombay High Court.
    The trustees of the Dargah in their defence had cited primarily following three reasons for restricting the women to enter the into the inner sanctum though it was allowed earlier -

1. They were not aware of the provisions of the Shariat earlier when women's entry was allowed and the subsequent ban was more like an amendment.
    2. Safety and security issues of the women e.g. incidences of eve-teasing or belongings of the women being stolen.
    3. The women wearing blouses with wide necks bend on the Mazar which exposes their breasts.

They had further pleaded that Islam discourages free mixing between men and women. However, the trust failed in legally justifying the ban imposed on women to enter the Dargah.

The High Court observed that the trust is always at liberty to take steps to prevent sexual harassment of the women.

The development has to be lauded as the Hindu men and women came together to speak in support of Muslim women and vice-versa.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

As one side we talk about the equality and on the other side we talk about only male power, I think it is the wrong perception of the people and the decision of the court is really a wonderful step regarding the equality of both men and women, it is really a step towards the real modern thinking and I wish that we all should appreciate the decision made by the High court with full appreciation. Good things should always be welcomed with full joy and happiness as it is best for our own society.
    live happily in every situation of life

Appreciation to court for restoring the dignity of women faith followers to visit famous Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai and this once again proves the equal opportunity to Men and women in every field..
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments