You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: New Features

Automatic locking of forum editing

Dear all,

In the past we have seen numerous complaints about members going back and editing their threads/responses, making the following responses kind of irrelevant or misleading. In order to tackle this situation and also to adhere to the standards, we are making forum threads auto lock after 15 minutes of posting. This means, you will not be able to edit your forum post or responses after 15 minutes from the time of posting. Typically, most of the internet discussion forums work this way and you won't be able to edit your posts after certain time interval.

Forum Editors have special access to:

1. Edit threads/responses posted by other members even after the lock time

2. Unlock any specific forum thread so that others can edit their own posts. (This is useful in case of certain contest threads where members need to keep adding contest entries etc)
    This is a welcome development and the Webmaster Tony John has to be thanked for the latest value addition in the system.

Now the authors will have to to pay more attention while posting contents in the forum section to ensure that there are no glaring mistakes in the same. The contents should be read repeatedly before and after posting to weed out all mistakes within set time frame.

I request the Webmaster to consider devising a system of auto locking of the forum threads for posting further responses after 10 days as this matter is being raised and discussed repeatedly in the forum section. In absence of such a system, often members pull more than 10 days old threads unintentionally which leads to award of negative points by the editors.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Our Webmaster Tony is always seen busy improving the features of this site so that it could more user friendly and cause less damage to the reputation of this channel and this move one more step further in that direction.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

This means that if I find any mistake after 15 minutes of posting my Forum thread or responses, I won't be able to correct it. Is it applicable for AE section also?
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I hope it may be modified to forum responses and not forum posts because when I tried link with forum response yesterday I could not see the edit button. I hope forum post may be edited because we may have to give links in contest entries.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Saroja Ji- It is clearly mentioned in the thread that both the threads as well as the responses will get auto-locked after 15 minutes.

Regarding giving links etc. in respect of entries of contests, the editors have access to unlock any thread from automatic locking after 15 minutes. Therefore, perhaps in contest threads where posting of clickable threads etc. is required, the editors will allow such threads to remain unlocked.

@Kailash
    It is only for the announcement thread where as I am talking about the threads which we raise for contests and we may have to give links at different places which may take time and if this 15 minutes lock is there, we may not do it later.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Saroja Ji - Perhaps you are mentioning about creation/drafting of entries to be submitted for contests e.g. developing a creative story which is likely to take much more time than 15 minutes.

One solution may be to create the contest entry on a word file and then transfer the content in the forum section as a thread.

Also, the 15-minute timer will perhaps start after clicking the submission button , not before that. Therefore even if more than 30 minutes are taken in drafting the entry, it can be submitted. However, post-posting finishing will have to be finished within 15 minutes only.

That is indeed a welcome move. It has been observed time and again that s few members straightaway make a few comments which create controversies and once they realise their folly, just edit the response and go in a denail mode. The current move will definitely stop them from doing so.
    Live....and Let Live...!

The most-awaited thread lock automation feature has arrived in a strange avatar. I maybe too naive to understand how it is going to be helpful ahead. Best wishes to this new feature, though.
    Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

I think it is not so good because if we get to correct our words after 15 minutes, then I think it will be not possible for the member every time to remember what mistake we have done before 15 minutes back. I think previous method was the better one. I will advice the administration not to change the method because earlier method was the best.
    live happily in every situation of life

I appreciate the move of WM Tony for creating this special feature. Since we are students of a study channel, we are likely to commit spelling and grammar mistakes, and might take some time to realize it. Hence I feel that 15 minutes allowance is too less to understand and get it edited. I recommend 24 hrs (One day) be considered for this auto locking for editing.
    No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Tony John is always working to improve ISC. First the duplicate forum threads issue is solved, then the new forum template issues are solved. The automatic locking of forum thread/response is a good feature. From now, members must be careful while posting a thread or a responding to a thread. In a similar way, it would be better if forum threads get locked automatically after ten days. I hope that will be done in the coming days.

Great move. It will help improve quality levels of this site.
    A big journey begins with a single step.

A very apt and needed change. I appreciate the initiative and thank web master for implementing the change.
    ==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Although most of the Members have welcomed this move, I can't support it. Even if any typographical error or grammatical mistake is noticed later than 15 minutes, the Members must be allowed to correct it. No, I can't support it, but the decision of the Webmasters is final.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments