You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a Special Prize in the TOW contest for the week 27th Aug to 03rd Sept '16 on the topic- Uniform.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Should there a uniform civil code in India?

The topic for this weeks TOW contest is 'uniform'. It has been mentioned in the announcement thread of the contest that - 'The word 'uniform' has much influence on us in our daily life - right from a school going child to a person serving for the Nation'.

While talking about the uniforms, why not to ponder on the issue of the uniform civil code which is perhaps the mother of all such considerations.

There are personals laws based on the religious customs and scriptures of each major religious community in India. Often debates trigger about the Muslim Personal Law, which permits unilateral divorce and polygamy.

India is a secular country and even the Supreme Court has asserted the need of a Uniform Civil Code. The former President A. P. J. Abdul Kalam had also supported the need of a Uniform Civil Code in India.

It is a matter of debate as to whether there should be a uniform civil code in India or not ?

What are your observations about the subject matter?

(TOW entry)
    This has been a contagious issue since long years where as the majority of the people of India are in favor of Uniform civil code, but the Muslims always maintain to follow their personal law board. Thus the conflict of interest always persists on this matter and even courts are maintaining their errie silence on the matter as it concerns to religious accceptance of one law for all. What I firmly believe that people like APJ Abdul Kalaam and our PM Narender Modi has the guts to talk on this subject and other politcians wont do that fearing loss of vote bank from the particular community.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

It is not a matter of debate as to whether there should be a uniform civil code in India or not ? Article 44 of Indian constitution gives this provision. Article 44--The State shall endeavor to secure for the citizens a uniform civil code throughout the territory of India. Article 15. (1) The State shall not discriminate against any citizen on grounds only of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any of them. Now govt. of India should bring uniform civil code without any delay.
    'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

If we want to make India a truly secular country where no discrimination is made to anybody on the basis of religion, Uniform Civil Code is a must. This has been enshrined in the Directive Principle of the Constitution of India. However, thanks to vote-grabbing political parties and power-hungry political leaders, even after 66 years of the enactment of the Constitution, people are seeking Uniform Civil Code. Due to different laws for different communities, number of litigation has been increasing year after year.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments