You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the meaning of a fasting when followed by a feast?

In India, people observe fasting on different occasions mostly religious in nature. As we all know, fasting is a voluntary abstinence from food, drink or both for a period of time, generally 24 hours maximum. There are certain health benefits also and it is recommended that occasionally people should observe fasting to provide relief and respite to the digestive system.

Many Hindus observe fasting on Ekadasi, Pradosha, or Purnima. Then there are typical fasting during the nine days of Navratri or on the occasions like Maha Shivaratri and Karwa Chauth etc.

However, generally, throughout the day of fasting, people keep themselves busy in the preparation of high calories foods like deep fried or sweet items and relish the same in the evening.

What is the meaning of a fasting when followed by a feast?
    Actually, people fast to get something in their life and yeah it is true that the fast is only for 24 hours and after that they can eat what they want to eat, but there are also some people who only eat fruits after ending their fast also for some day in respect to their fasting culture. People fast for particular time because the moment is special and has great influence in human prosperity. And as the author said that what is the meaning of fast following the feast well I will say that it is not important why people eat after ending their fast, the things which matter is that people don't eat anything during their fast and which makes the fasting culture so important and special for every religion.
    live happily in every situation of life

Kailash Kumar sb,
    You have rightly said that why fasting is followed by feasting.
    I think that fasting is a voluntary abstinence from food for the whole day. While feasting is the celebration for fasting finally accomplished without any problem.

Regards,
    Nadeem Naqvi

World without God is Zero without One!

Nowadays many restaurants/companies have also started preparing speciality dishes for the fasting and people order the same, the way pizza is ordered. Thus they are not taking even the pains of preparing the special dishes.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I wont agree with the author that people undertake fasting after feast. That is wrong. I have seen many people including my wife observing fast by remaining food less for the whole day. She would eat next day only. Remember she is the teacher and lots of exertion takes place at the school while controlling the children. But still she manages the chorus with ease and that comes with practice. If a person has the habit of remaining fasting, he can live so for two days without any problem. But for some the after effects of fasting is also felt due to gas formation in the stomach and thus they try to eat something to have a check on health.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments