You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Should religious leaders be allowed in the Assembly/Parliament!

The invitation by the government and subsequent delivery of lecture by the Jain monk in the Haryana Assembly has already become a topic of hot discussion. What do you think of it as a common citizen keeping away your religious inclinations? The author is inviting a fair discussion on the topic.

Hello ISCians,
    Long time when I have again got back to this site!
    You all are aware that a Jain Monk was invited to the Haryana Assembly.
    Is it right on the part of the government to invite these religious leaders to the floor of the house to deliver lectures?
    These religious Gurus have a bent of mind and the legislative has a different bent of mind. I wonder how this will gel in!
    India is a secular country and inviting any religious leaders is not a part of the constitution and above all the floor of the house happens to be the place which is much above the communal thought process.
    Friends, what is your point of view? Lets discuss!
    If the leaders of a different country can be invited in our Parliament (or in any other country's Parliament), then what is the harm in inviting religious leaders? Has the religious leader said anything which is against the Constitution of the country? If yes, then we must take action. If no, the matter ends here.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

This news has created lots of curiosity in the social media and I am being in Twitter being bombarded with so many responses on this. First of all I would say that it is the prerogative of the Assembly to call any one to address the session of the members for a refined mind. The Jain Muni is known for his best pravachan has in fact had a dig at the behavior of every politician and amazing wealth through corrupt means. But having come naked to the house has become more embarrassment for the women legislators otherwise the Muni did speak sense.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Being secular is interpreted as having equal respect to all the religions. On referring the list of holidays of the Government of India we find that there are closed days on the occasions of festivals of all religions. There are holidays on the occasion of Buddha Purnima and Mahavir Jayanti also. Though in many central Government offices there may not be any follower of the respective religions but the offices remain fully closed.

Though a debate is going on certain television channels as to whether the religious leaders should address the Parliament of the Assemblies or not but why to consider such evolved personalities as religious leaders until and unless they are preaching religion in the house. They may be taken as any other learned individual worthy of being invited as a speaker in the house.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Parliament is one kind of school with some good politicians and many idiots those who elected wrongly by the people. There are many politicians who selected due to the significance of party in centre or majority of voting to the party and some politicians selected as per their force and monetary offering to voters. So, these people need more knowledge as they might haven't been to school or college in their life and due to these spiritual Gurus they may get some knowledge from them. Sri Sri Ravishankar is one of the top spiritual Gurus in India who has been recognized and appreciated in many country's parliaments due to his contribution to humanity through yoga and meditation and felicitated with several awards in his life. He is one of the greatest spiritual leaders in the world who really needed by our politicians to awaken their internal knowledge and to develop their inner skills. So, I think there is nothing wrong if any spiritual leader visits parliament and give speech to our ministers and workers.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

Our political leaders do need spiritual education embedded in the religions of the country. So, I on't think religious leaders should not be invited in the Parliament or in the Assembly. If any MP or MLA doesn't like, he/she may not attend the discourse.
    So far as the particular Digambar Jain monk is concerned, I am not Vishal Dadlani or Raghu to make derogatory comments. As a Jain, the monk has full right to practice his religion.
    India is a secular country where all religions are supposed to get equal respect.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sheerly not, the religious leaders should not go to that area where the words give arise about the unequality feelings among the people and I think that the religious leaders should himself understand the matter regarding this. And before allowing this kind of leader in assembly/parliament, it should be taken into consideration that this country is a secular country and every bit of things are taken very seriously over here. The consequences could be different from ones thinking, it can also create a religious fight outside the assembly or parliament.
    live happily in every situation of life

Religion should not go with goverrnent in a secular country. Religious leaders should not be above the elected members of our country An MP or MLA may visit a religious leader in a madh, temple, church or mosque, but never a religious guru in a government run organization. Parliament and assembly should not be a lecture place for religious leaders.
    No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments