You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

What may be the best offering in Ganesha Chaturthi Puja?

[This entry wins the 3rd prize for the creative story writing contest]

It was the day of 'visarjan' ( immersion) of the 'murti' (idol) of the God Ganesha after 5 days of 'sthapana'. Preparation had almost been completed for the ' visarjan aarti'. All the five elements of the offerings i.e. 'deep' (oil lamps), 'pushp' (flowers), 'dhoop' (incense), 'gandh' (fragrance) and 'naivedya' (food) to the God Ganesha had been arranged properly in front of the God.

Suddenly the lamp boasted that - 'I am the best among all the offerings to be made to the God. I emit light and remove the darkness of the world'. It continued that - 'I represent the knowledge and education which removes the darkness of ignorance and enable the devotee to adopt the right path to tread ahead'.

The flower said softly to the lamp that - 'It is not like that. All of us have our respective roles and responsibilities and without me, no 'puja' is considered complete. I am the only object among all the offering which has color and fragrance both. I find a place which directly touches the body of the God and considered very close to him'.

The food quipped without giving any chance to the incense and fragrance to speak by saying that - ' It is me who nurture and sustain the creatures. Without me there will be no life. I am the truest representative of the God as I give life unlike all of you who remain busy in cosmetic activities'.

Both the incense and the fragrance intervened almost simultaneously ridiculing their companions observing that - 'Without us the world will no longer remain a livable place. We cleanse the udesirable foul smell from the air and make the atmosphere pure to be inhaled by the living creatures to sustain their life'.

The discussion went on without any conclusion or end result. Finally, they mutually agreed to seek the intervention of the God Himself promising to each other they will abide by the verdict of the God Ganesha and will never resort to quibbling on the issue.

Thus, they prayed to the God to give His verdict. The God Ganesh who is the Lord of success and destroyer of evils and obstacles and worshiped as the god of education, knowledge, wisdom and wealth, smiled and enlightened the various elements of the offerings by observing that - 'I become pleased with the devotees most who offers their 'ahankar' (ego) as an offering to me'.

While performing my 'visarjan' (immersion) of my'murti' (idol), the devotees should immerse their ego too.

Regarding the 'puja vidhi' of Ganesha Chaturthi, the readers may visit my following article -

How to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi at home

(Ganesh Chaturthi offerings - creative writing contest)
    Very good presentation from the author describing the Pooja vidhanam and the importance of light, flower , incense sticks and Prasad. And i really liked the sentence that we should also bury our ego along with the idol immersion.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Yeah very good presentation by sir Kailash Kumar, and yes as said by sir K Mohan the last words are too very special and very important for the devotees to understand the meaning of the immersion of lord Ganesha that we should not only immersed the god idol but we should also immersed our ego and arrogant with the immersion of god idol. We people not only praise god but we should also understand and do the same which the Ganesha has done and whatever he teaches us to do, we should practise them in real life.
    live happily in every situation of life

All possible attempts should be made to renounce all kinds of vices without which perhaps there is no meaning of undergoing through the rituals of puja.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

As far as Ganesh Chaturthi contest is concerned, I think no action has so far been taken regarding crediting award etc. though the results were announced on 11.09.2016.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.