You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Some lesser known facts about Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.

We are about to celebrate the birthday of Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan on 5th September as the Teachers Day in India.

Let us remember one of the greatest scholars of India and derive inspiration from his life. The following are some of the lesser known facts about Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan -

1. He was awarded a knighthood in 1931 by the British Government, but he never preferred to use the title 'Sir'. Instead, he preferred to use the academic title 'Dr.'
    2. His son Sarvepalli Gopal, a distinguished history scholar was awarded a Padma Vibhushan 1999 for his contributions to Indian history. He had authored the books - Radhakrishnan: A Biography and Jawaharlal Nehru: A Biography.
    3. As the Indian ambassador to the Soviet Union, he had once patted the cheek of Soviet dictator Joseph D. Stalin.
    4. When he was appointed as the President of India, Bertrand Russell had said that 'It is an honor to the philosophy that Dr. Radhakrishnan should be President of India'.

Let us share more information about Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
    These pieces of information about the great teacher of our country are very interesting and note worthy. Perhaps others can add more information. Similarly there can be such unknown about most of the great personalities.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

I really appreciate the author for bringing finest information on SarvepallI Radhajrishnan and for many of us he is the known as the mentor for teaching community and on his birthday Teachers day is being celebrated on 5th Sept and all the teachers are honored on that day.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Dr. S. Radhakrishnan was appointed as a Professor of Philosophy to occupy the King George V Chair of Mental and Moral Science at the University of Calcutta in 1921. He represented the University of Calcutta at the Congress of the Universities of the British Empire in June, 1926 and the International Congress of Philosophy at Harvard University in September, 1926. He reached his academic pinnacle during his tenure with the University of Calcutta.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

The information provided by the author are very crucial for the students because most or every students make Teacher day and they should know all this, so as to know the importance of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.
    live happily in every situation of life

His students had approached Dr. S. Radhakrishnan to allow them to celebrate his birthday when he became the President of India.

He had then remarked that -

'Instead of celebrating my birthday, it would be my proud privilege if September 5th is observed as Teacher's Day'.

Thus the tradition of celebrating the teachers day started.

Let us remember Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam also on this occasion as he was loved by many students.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments