You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Kerala's Onam celebrations is coming soon.

Onam is celebrated by everybody in Kerala irrespective of caste or religion. This years Onam is here, just on the threshold of every house. The starting day this year is 4th of September, the Atham day. Thiruvonam, the main day is on 14th of September. There are historical and mythological stories behind this celebrations.
    Yes, the famous Onam celebration is going to begin on 4th September. I am eagerly waiting for the delicious dishes from my Malayali friends. Is the famous boat race scheduled for 14th September?
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan has observed in one of his Facebook posts that - ' it is inappropriate to have celebrations and laying and displaying flowers during working hours (in Government offices)'. There were complaints from the public that the staff at the offices go in a holiday mood which affects normal functioning at the Government offices and the work remains pending.

The will be a maiden celebration of Onam this year at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on September 3 and the traditional dance and art forms of Kerala will be showcased to an invited audience. In the august presence of the President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Ministers, Kerala Governor P. Sathasivam, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, Tourism Minister A.C. Moideen, Ministers, MPs and top officials from Kerala an hour long program Kairali will be organised by Kerala Tourism at the Rashtrapati Bhavan cultural centre.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes September seems to be having lots of festival activities as Teachers day and Ganesh Chathurthi falls on the same day and the Nine day Ganesh festival is going to be celebrated in Hyderabad on grand scale. Glad to note that Onam is also going to be celebrated and probably that will clash with the immersion ceremony of Ganesh Idols. So being festive season the banks would be closed for many of these holidays and it is better to draw money before hand and keep it ready for expenses ahead. In Hyderabad too there are sizeable Malayalam citizens who celebrate the Onam with great interest.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments