You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the necessity of changing the names of cities and courts etc.,

Invariably we are seeing many governments of our India changing the names of cities, street names and courts etc., I do not understand the reason behind it and what is the difficulty they are facing if the christened names exists? If any new street comes or new scheme comes the christening the same with the interested names could be alright. Similarly the people writing names also should be careful as there should not be any change in meaning. In one street of Chennai there was name board in Tamil as 'Odai pillaiyar Koil street' which has the meaning Ganesh temple situated near a small river (small river called in Tamil as Odai). Later people in the interest of changing the name board in boh tamil and english, they write the name of the street as 'Ottai pilliayar Koil street' both in english and tamil. The meaning of new name is the 'Temple of pillaiyar with hole street' here ottai means hole.

In some places the British christened the names of the cities and villages with their pronouncing as then Indians were afraid to suggest the British. But according to me it is not also mistake if we follow the same even now . For publicity many governments are doing such changing names and this should be avoided.

Similarly the shortening name of the road also somewhat made us to think. In Mandvi of Mumbai, there is a road called 'Ibrahim Rowther Road'. The bus driver once I crossed that road by bus told the passengers 'I.R.Road utharo,' this was heard by me as 'Iyer Road' and I was very curious to know how such road christened in MUmbai and that too that area was found fully with Muslim people. Later by seeing the name of the road through the shops' name boards got realized.
    Some time back, Rishi Kapoor had tweeted - 'Why are so many institutions, buildings, schemes etc. being named after the Nehru- Gandhi family?' His remark had sparked a lot of discussions and debates and as a mark of protest, few people in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh had named a public toilet after name of Rishi Kapoor.

There are about 400 institutions are named after the Nehru-Gandhi family, to name a few -
    1. Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi
    2. Jawaharlal Nehru University
    3. Indira Gandhi National Park, Tamil Nadu
    4. Rajiv Gandhi Home for Handicapped, Pondicherry
    5. Mount Rajiv

There was much controversy about renaming the Aurangzeb Road in Lutyens's Delhi as Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Road. The Rajpath was once known as Kingsway and the Motilal Nehru Marg was called York Road.

In the Uttar Pradesh, the former Chief Minister Mayawati had renamed many districts.
    The author's concern is right, but perhaps we cannot do much about the trend. It is resorted to mostly due to political consideration or as a voter appeasement measure.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Once a different party comes to the power, it is their prerogative to change the names of the city and also even the districts. For example after the death of YSR, the former chief Minister who was killed in a copter crash, the Kiran Kumar government has named the Kadapa district as YSR district. Now the the new Telangana government is creating at least 14 districts out of existing 10 big districts and thus for some a a new name is going to be christened. One such name is the Jayashankar district which would have head quarters at Bhupallapally. Jayashankar was instrumental during Telangana agitation.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments