You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General Instructions

Guess the Title Author contest - check here for progress report, general instructions, feedback

As per the interest expressed in the earlier thread, I will be announcing the Guess Title Author (GTA) contest next week after 6th September. This thread will give members an idea of what is happening behind the scenes, as a sort of progress report. You can also check this thread for instructions, post queries about the contest and give your general feedback.

I have already sent emails to members who would be the authors of the titles. All forum participants are requested to check your emails and reply. None of you (the authors) should get excited & happily declare in this thread that you got selected to write a title!! That would naturally spoil the guessing game. If I do not get a response from the member I contacted by Saturday evening, I will contact another member.

How the contest will pan out:
    1. I will post the contest announcement thread with the list of titles after 6th September (not on a Sunday though) once all the entries have come in.
    2. Anybody, including editors, can participate to guess which member had written which title. Sufficient time will be given to guess.
    3. The answers (guesses) will be sent to my gmail ID only, which is [iscmanagingeditor]. Nobody should list the guesses in a response in the announcement thread. If you so so, you will be disqualified from the contest and given negative points.
    4. In the contest announcement thread, you wil only mention that you sent your answers to my mail ID.
    5. There will be cash awards as the main prizes. Correct answers will also get points and cc [to be credited to your response in the contest announcement thread]. The prizes, points and cc will be announced later.

Any member who acts as a nuisance and creates a ruckus will not be allowed to participate in this contest as well as my next 2 contests, whichever it may be.
    First update: 5 members have already agreed. Waiting for the others to respond (won't disclose the total number of members who will be the authors). Everyone please do check your in-box!
    Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Second update: I have got positive responses from all but one author (somebody does not check mails!!).

I would like feedback from members: Since it may be a little difficult for participants to guess merely based on the title, should I also list the words I gave?

Regards,
    Vandana

#577891: Yes, I think list of the words should be given to enable the Members to try their luck with more information.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I think once the authors come to know that their threads or titles are likely to be used in a contest then may they may deliberately adopt a different style of writing the content leaving aside their characteristic styles so as to ensure that their entries are not easily detected by the participants in the contest.

Perhaps because of these reasons only such contests are not clicking the way, they are envisaged. I concur with the ME's view (#577891) that 'it may be a little difficult for participants to guess merely based on the title'. However, I am looking forward to participate in the forthcoming contest and submit my guesses.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I have received the entries. You can look forward to the contest announcement soon! I will also give a few clues to help you along . Once the contest closes, you can give your feedback here, for which this thread will be kept open as an exception even if the min. 10-day frame is over. However, please do not put any guesses in this or any other thread - wait for my go-ahead for it.
    Regards,
    Vandana

The contest has been announced: Guess the Title Author contest - participate and win. Please drum up some enthusiasm and participate!
    Regards,
    Vandana

Responding to enable ME to post further response.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani
    Lead Editor (Articles)

Very curious to know the GTA results with the correct 12 authors of the 12 titles. Does it really take so many days (72 hrs passed) to evaluate and announce the result ? I think, the result could be declared within one hour after the closing time if willing.
    No life without Sun ¤

Sun,
    When will you stop your constant insinuations? You did not even participate in the contest.

Regards,
    Vandana

Sorry Vandana,
    I could not participate in GTA contest as I was away with my simple mobile phone which could not be used to read and send e-mail. 8th September was a black day in my life that I lost one of my close relative. I feel myself unfortunate that I missed your lovely contest. Didn't I say that I am a contest hungry ISCian. What to do? Now I am back home and is very curious to see the result of your contest.

Also, It is not an insinuation, but the feeling of being a good ISC family member who cares and question ISC activities with love and affection.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,
    My condolences for the loss of your relative.

Just as you could not participate, don't you think others will also have valid reasons for not having announced the results? A little more thoughtful understanding of considering the other side of the picture would help instead of making thoughtless off the cuff remarks like the one here and in the guess thread. That remark of yours there really hurt.

I don't want to get into further discussions on this now & this thread can be locked.

Regards,
    Vandana

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.