You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Shall vs Will - when to use them

Confused between the usage of shall and will? Get a free learning tutorial to know the difference between these two words and understand when to use them in a sentence or conversation.

Do you know the difference between ' shall' and 'will'? When should you use the word shall and when should you use the word will? Let's bring out the difference with examples.
    Shall means there is a question of doubt in the mind but trying in imminent. But will is the definite situation where in the person has determined attitude to achieve the target or aim.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Yes, these two words show persons of different characters , one most probably a procastinator ( I shall study after I finish my game). And the other a determined person with a goal ( I will study now, then finish my game). Choice of words is important in personality building.

First of all, it will have to be made clear that there are variations in the subject matter in the standard British English grammar and in American English. Therefore, the participants in the discussion may not quibble about what is correct and what is not. Generally, in India, people are taught British English grammar in their school days. However, in the present internet era, the boundaries have melted and in future, only very recalcitrant individuals will heckle about such issues.

Will is primarily used when talking about the future e.g.
    1. When will you go to Delhi?
    2. Hopefully, we will have a good monsoon this year.

Its negative form 'will not' is shortened as won't e.g.
    1. They won't be able to scale the mountain.
    2. iPhone7 won't be available till next few months.

However, while talking about the future 'will' is generally used with second and third person pronouns viz. you, he, she, it, they) etc. With first person pronouns i.e. I and we, the convention is to use 'shall'. In spoken English, 'will' is generally used with the first person pronouns also in shortened form e.g. we'll.

The trend is that that these two verbs are generally interchangeable in most, but not all, situations.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Will is a very strong intended word whereas shall is used in a request way. Both are used for future tenses. For example : shall I do it (sounds softer) and I will do it (sounds stronger).
    live happily in every situation of life

Shall is used with I, We.
    Will is used with You, He, She, It, They.
    When expressing something strongly, the usage is reversed. For example, 'I shall be late' and 'I will do it' are correct.

Well, the two words have an interchangeability between them these days.

In the olden days, Shall was to be used with I and We. At least, that is what we were taught during our elementary school days. Shall with I and We while willwith other pronouns. However, it has now ceased to be the rule. Most of us use Will with I and WE.

In fact, Shall has now assumed a way of putting these in a more formal way, or in some cases, dramatic way. I shall not forget your help all through my life would be more dramatic than I will....my life. There are cases when you use Shall if you are making a request or suggestion. Shall I have piece of paper on that table?

One more usage, where Shall has been widely used is when you are sure that something would happen. It can also be used to mean a guideline. In this case, it can be used with other pronouns than I and We. I shall meet him today and No employee shall leave the premises before asked to are the two examples for that kind of usage.

If you are asking for someones advice, you may use Shall as in Shall I invest in XXX shares?. And finally, almost all legal documents use Shall. In this case again, the word is used with all pronouns apart from I and We. Tenant shall intimate the owner before carrying out any repairs to the house could be a good example.

Live....and Let Live...!

Sign In to post your comments