You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you taken the rail travel Personal Accident insurance, recently introduced by IRCTC?

Indian Railway minister announced the other day about passenger insurance for train travel. I sincerely welcome and hail it. It is damn cheap and a very positive marketing cum benefiting business action at the same time. It s an easy way for railways and insurance company to earn some quick bucks without much efforts and spend. I appreciate the pro-active gesture of Indian Railways.
    It was just a coincidence and choice that I availed the train travel passenger insurance on the first day of its introduction. I had to book an online ticket and willingly paid for the insurance also. I have already received the insurance certificate online. I also received sms intimation asking me to fill nominee details.
    Today's news report says that (I am among)2.77 lakh online ticket bookers availed insurance on the first day. It clearly shows that people will voluntarily accept any positive facility, given at affordable rates.
    At present it is for online bookings. We may hope it will be introduced for counter bookings also.
    Some of the salient features of optional travel insurance for e-ticket passengers are as follows -
    1. It is uniform for all classes of passengers. The insurance amount is Rs. 10 lakh in case of death or permanent total disability, Rs. 7.5 lakh in case of permanent partial disability, Rs. 2 lakh in case of hospitalization expenses for injury and Rs. 10,000 for transportation of mortal remains.
    2. The premium is Re. 92 per passenger inclusive of all taxes.
    3. The scheme is optional. In case opted for, it will be compulsory for all passengers booked under one PNR number.
    4. The optional travel insurance is not provided for the children below 5 years of age.
    5. The claim/liability will be between insured and the insurance company.
    6. The customer will receive the policy information through SMS and on their registered email IDs directly from insurance companies along with a link to fill nomination details.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Though I have to take it yet, it is a welcome move. It could have been introduced long back as we could see such kind of insurance with air travel. It is very cheap when compared to air travel insurance. Because of higher premiums, people are hesitating to take air travel insurance. But the train travel insurance is affordable to all. Though it can be extended to counter booking reservation tickets easily, what about the travelers with general tickets. As they buy the tickets at last hour, is it possible to fill the insurance form and submit it at that time?

It is good that online Railway Reservation also comes with Insurance coverage and that is important because in the event of unforeseen circumstances and accidents the beneficiary would be rest assured of amount. One thing I cannot understand that if any Rail accident takes place and central government and the Railways also announce the Gratia payment to the dead persons relatives and thus with this Insurance coverage will the government shirk its responsibility in giving further compensation as done earlier. This has to be clarified and request any member throw details on this.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Good things are always welcomed, it is like a security for the common people who travel in trains a lot and spend most of the time in Railway station, as the facility is only available online, I wish that it could come in the reservation counter fast as there are many people who doesn't do online ticket booking, recently we all have heard about the accident which occur in railways tracks or in the railway station itself but then also many victims are not getting compensation, but after doing the railway personal accidental insurance many victims will get the opportunity of best facility hospital treatment.
    live happily in every situation of life

Sign In to post your comments