You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

The Story behind the use of Durva Grass in Ganesh Chaturthi

Everyone is seen to be busy and involved in the upcoming festival of Ganesh Chaturthi. Everyone seems to be pre-occupied for the preparation, decoration and offerings that are to be made to the Lord Ganesha. Picklu and his family too are busy with the preparation and offerings for the upcoming Ganesh Chaturthi. The beautiful and colorful Ganesh idol has been bought to the house along with all the required offerings. The modaks, one of Ganesha's favorite has already been prepared at the house.

Finally, the day has come for the Lord Ganesha puja to be performed. The nearby priest has been summoned to perform the puja at the house. Picklu's mother is quite busy as she has to look for all the arrangements for the puja and to make sure that nothing gets missed out.

Lord Ganesha's beautiful idol has been mounted in the puja house. In front of it, all the offerings have been placed. That includes, fresh flowers, garland made of marigold flowers, coconut, cucumber, cow dung, incense sticks, batasha and modaks.

The priest arrived at the house for performing the puja. He carefully inspects if all the puja items have been arranged properly.

Picklu's mother: Pujari ji, please see if all the offerings have been arranged properly.

The priest with his large glasses balancing on the nose inspects all the items.

Pujari: Umm… Everything seems to be in order but I can't get a trace of Durva grass anywhere and you know how important it is.

Picklu curiously asks his mother: Maa, what kind of grass is these and why it is considered to be an important offering for the puja?

Picklu's mother: There is a story behind the use of Durva grass in Ganesh Chaturthi.

Picklu in a childish manner: Maa, I want to know about this story. Please recite about it.

Picklu's mother started to narrate the story.

There was a huge and scary demon known as Analasura. He went on destroying everything that came in his way. So, all the people on Earth and the Gods prayed to Lord Ganesha to rescue them from the clutches of Analasura. Lord Ganesha decided to kill the demon. He gulped Anasulara to destroy him and protect everyone from his clutches.

Due to this, the body of Bal Ganesha generated much heat which he could not bear and fell to the ground. All means to calm down the heat of Lord's body were futile. Then, thousand of sages came there with a bunch of 21 Durva grass and put it on Bal Ganesha's head and a miracle happened. The burning sensation of Lord Ganesha was minimized after putting the Durva grass on his head.

With this, Lord Ganesha announced that whoever with devotion offer Him Durva grass, he would be pious and get Punya which will be equal to thousand pujas, pilgrims, donations, etc.

Priest: Yes this is the story for the use of Durva grass in the puja of Lord Ganesha. Whether you offer flowers or not, it doesn't matter but you should offer the Durva grass to Lord Ganesha. Now, you understood why Durva grass is considered to be an important offering for the Lord.

Picklu: Yes, now I know and I will make available a bunch of 21 Durva grass right away.

Picklu managed to get a handful of Durva grass from a nearby field. The priest and mother became happy by the availability of the grass and the priest placed it on the cow dung. He started to recite the prayers for the Lord.

The sounds of chants and prayers could be heard along with the fragrance of incense sticks and dhoop batis coming out from every home where prayers are offered to the Lord.

This is an entry to the Ganesh Chaturthi offerings creative writing contest
    'Durva' is considered a sacred grass. The tender shoots of' durva' are used in puja ritual of God Ganesha or other deities also. The ' durva' grass consist of three blades which represent the three principles of primal Shiva, primal Shakti and primal Ganesha. The ' durva' which bear flowers is generally not used in puja rituals. Flowered plants represent ripeness which denotes decrease in the vitality of the plant.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

In Tamil we call it Arugam Pill and the grass would be very thin. For animals this grass is very essential and they like to eat. So eventually the this variety of grass is also offered to Lord Ganesh during pooja.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Thank you for sharing this valuable information. Now we understand the scientific and medical masterminds, our ancestors. And thanks once again for indirectly saying that Durva grass reduces heat. I have several problems related to body heat. I will try to treat myself with this new remedy.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.