You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

No special status to AP- Modi government back tracks the promise.

For the past two and a half years, the divided AP which is sinking due to paucity of funds and more burden of want of funds due to bifurcation , has been spearheading agitation for special status as promised by the Parliament , Congress and also endorsed by the BJP then. But after 30 months, the center has shrugged off its responsibility and categorically said that instead of special status, the new state would be funded as special state. As a ordinary citizen one cannot understand between the special status and special state. Can our members clarify this issue once for all so that AP people would understand.
    Special category status is granted by the National Development Council composed of the Prime Minister, Union Ministers, Chief Ministers and members of the Planning Commission (now NITI Aayog) taking into consideration some of the following factors -

1. Hilly and difficult terrain
    2. Low population density
    3. Sizeable tribal population
    4. Strategic location along borders with neighboring countries
    5. Economic and infrastructure backwardness
    6. Non-viable nature of state finances etc.

Presently, the states of Assam, Nagaland and Jammu & Kashmir, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Uttarakhand, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, and Sikkim have been granted special category status. The special category states are at a beneficial position at the time of allocation of resources/funds to these states.

On the other hand 'special status' is granted by passing an Act by the two-third majority in both houses of the Parliament for amendment of the constitution in this regard e.g. the state of Jammu and Kashmir has special status.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Assam, Nagaland ,Sikkim, Jammu & Kashmir, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Uttarakhand, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh have been granted special category status. The special category states enjoy beneficial position in respect of allocation of resources. The special status is granted by National Development Council (NDC) on the basis of the criteria already specified by Mr. Kailash Kumar in his previous response.

No political leader can give Special Status to any State. At best, he/she can take up the matter with NDC.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

If BJP fails to give special status to AP in another 2 years, then this would be the poll plank for next general election and Modi must face the tune.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments