You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Testing a modern layout for Forum page

Hello,

We are testing a new "modern" template for our forum pages. To get a quick look at the modern layout, visit this page and click on an appropriate button. Then go to any forum thread and see the difference.

Please let me know your comments and feedback. We will be switching to this new layout soon.
    Yes I visited the option and it says that classic or modern and I switched to modern and found that the site layout is user friendly. By the way our Webmaster Tony knows the importance of this forum and site and hence his every move would be calculated and trust worthy for the member in long run.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I visited the new format template.
    I have compared it with existing format. The new one is welcome as it has more clarity and visibility.

Screenshot of both format is given as attachment for easy comparison.
    The drop down provision for seeing joining date etc. is convenient and gives a modern appearance.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

I too visited both the formats, and I badly want the modern look please I beg the administration to do the modern look, its very friendly not only to forum but please do it for the other section please, it so nice, it is really wonderful please webmaster do it fast.
    live happily in every situation of life

Babu Saroj,

Just a friendly advice - you don't need to say the same thing in several different ways. In a casual communication, you don't have to use so many "please" and "begging". Just say you like the new layout and like to see it live.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Respected Tony sir,
    Thanks for your valuable advice, I will try to keep this in mind. Sorry I know that I am making too much mistakes but sir believe me, I am trying to learn from this site, forgive me if I do mistake next time.

I compared both the formats and liked the modern one. Some observations are as follows-
    1. In the modern look , the author's photograph looks bigger. However, members level is appearing in a drop-down menu beside total points also.
    2. In the modern look, time is also appearing beside the date.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Undoubtedly the new format looks good as far as Forum section is concerned. However, I have not yet checked all sections in the new format.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I have also visited the modern look and found it somewhat similar to what we see in other forum-based sites. While the modern layout splits the space into two columns, eating up certain area in stating author's name and member level, I guess this would be helpful in showcasing all the titles and badges earned by a member with his/her each contribution in forum.

I am sorry to differ from the feedback shared by members so far, but the blue colored strip after each and every response is distracting my eyes. Blue looks good as the background for main navigation links of the site. But the density of color is so much for the forum that I am finding it difficult to focus on the text submitted as responses. I welcome new updates in the forum, but this one issue is something I will need a lot of time to adjust with. Well, I just thought to inform you about the same.

It would have been better if the blue strip had a lighter color tone, or the color that it had in classic layout, that is, #c3c3c3.

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

Both are good. But modern has better features.
    'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

#578169 Yes the modern format is very friendly with nice look whereas the classic look has very old look, similar like an HTML version.

The modern look is indeed great. It has been created keeping in tune with the popular forum and discussion sites. Easy reference to member profiles is actually a good thought.

By the way, it looks as if the look has already gone live.

Live....and Let Live...!

Previously when we raise a thread and after loading to the site, we used to opt for featuring it and that option is not seen in this present layout designed by the webmaster.
    K Mohan

Mohan,

Can you please clarify the feature you are talking about? How did you feature a forum thread?

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Modern looks is better but the time showing in each post is something I would recommend to take off. It will look awkward if someone post at 3 am (early morning). Everyone have their own free time to login to ISC and this should be kept private as who is posting at what time. After all it is not necessary to make it open in front of the world.
    "Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

After posting a message, I would visit the thread again and click the star button and that will open up to select the thread for featuring the same.
    K Mohan

As of now 'Member Rank' is not visible though 'Member Level' is appearing together with 'Joined date' and 'Points' earned in the drop-down menu given below the author's name.

Earlier in the old format when the 'Member Level' and 'Member Rank' was also displayed, then it was possible for the newly joined members to know about the regular member's rank and level.

One more thing, the time appearing may be checked for clock synchronization as there is much difference in the time appearing on the post and the time displayed on my laptop.

Let the browser button be shifted below the subscribe button. I want to make important suggestion that after I finish writing the thread and want to post the same, I invariably end up pressing the browse button by mistake because it is located just beneath the box. It can be shifted to down and the submission button can be brought to upper side. I think other members may also face this problem. Please note that we rarely use the browser button to add image or extension and therefore my suggestion be considered. Hope this small change in the layout would be acceptable to webmaster Tony and be corrected.
    K Mohan

Mohan Ji is perhaps referring about 'Choose File' button below 'Attachment (Optional)' description. It is true that the attachments are seldom attached to the contents normally posted in the forum section. However, three instructions displayed above 'Submit Response' button has to be there as the same are relevant and important for newly joined members. Though I have no particular problem with the existing location of the 'Submit Response' button, but I have no objection either in case it is shifted as suggested by Mohan Ji.

The modern layout of forum page is excellent. It is very beautiful and attractive. I like it. Happy to work on the modern forum page. It has a very pleasing effect. Well done WM Tony John. You are great.
    No life without Sun ¤

Another thing I have noticed. In forum section previously we were able to go to the profile page of a member by clicking their names either outside the thread or inside the thread. Later with new format it was shrink only inside the thread. But now even inside the thread we are not able to click the member profile from their name. That is to say earlier it would have been like link/url but not it appears only as name which may be modified like before for easy reference to members' profile to check any url or messaging.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Saro,
    If you place your photo image, you can click on that photo to reach the profile page. A click over a photo takes us to the profile page. So it is essential to have a photo image in our profile.

No life without Sun ¤

I just clicked on the name of Saroja Ji and reached her profile page without any requirement of her photograph as mention by Sun in his response #578717.

Thank you Tony sir for the design update, The Modern Layout really looks nice and the Photographs are crystal clear.
    If you ask your doubt you are fool for 5 minutes but if you don't you are fool forever -- Chinese proverb

Good to see that ISC is upgrading itself. This modern layout is awesome. I tested this on my android phone but classic and modern tabs both reverted to modern layout. That's okay as I liked the new one that looks trendy and stylish in its own way.
    Regards,
    Venkat Satish Mamidisetti,
    Electrical Engineer.

Hello,

Now a days most of the people uses mobile phones for surfing and even many users here uses mobile for ISC (including me), the theme you have used is good but it has some responsive issues, which can be resolved easily as i hope, please have a look at the attached photos..
    Tested on Iphone 5s, safari browser, ios10.

Even i am not able to attach more than one photos

Regards,
    Lakhan Paryani
    Sr. Software Engineer (.NET Technologies)

Delete Attachment

Sign In to post your comments