You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Why Indian Television Channels are not interested to broadcast the Rio Paralympics 2016?

Paralympics is an International sporting event conducted for the athletes with a range of disabilities. Paralympics is similar to Olympics. In 2016 Paralympics, 19 Participants are representing India in 5 sports. Out of 19 Participants, 2 athletes have already bagged a Gold (Mariappan Thangavelu) and a Silver medal (Varun Singh) in High Jump. Now India is standing in 24th place in the Points table. It is a great achievement for a country like India.

The support for Paralympics 2016 is very less when compared to the summer Olympic Games conducted at Rio recently. The entire country went crazy and watched the Badminton match when P.V Sindhu stormed into the final round of Badminton in Rio Olympics 2016.But now, half of the country is not aware of the Paralympics games which is happening at Rio.

Star sports was the official broadcaster of Rio Olympics 2016 in India and the entire nation supported the Indian participants by sitting in front of their TV, but the saddest part now is no Indian Television channels are broadcasting the 2016 Rio Paralympics games in India. Only Sony is telecasting the 2016 Paralympics games that too specifically the highlights of 2016 Paralympics in their sports channel Sony SIX and ESPN for one hour daily( Non-live).

The special athletes are gifts to India and it is the responsibility of the country to support them.

Why the craze for Paralympics is less when compared to Olympics in India? Why Indian TV channels are not interested to broadcast the Paralympics games in their channels?

Share your views.
    Indian TV channels are not interested to broadcast the Paralympics games in their channels because of less TRP and less business. They are not emotional fools but intelligent businessmen.People also do not have much interest in Paralympics because they do not entertain much.When some one see a movie men enters into hero character and lady into heroin. No body wants to associate oneself to divyang people.So do not have craze.
    'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

It is not only about India. Throughout the world, the scale of coverage of Rio Paralympics 2016 is less than Rio Olympics 2016.

There were total 11,303 athletes from 206 countries who participated in 306 events in 28 sports in Rio Olympics 2016 against total 4,300 athletes from 161 countries who are participating in 528 events in 22 sports in Rio Paralympics 2016. Thus there is a difference in the scale of the event also.

Regarding coverage, IPC had announced that around 680 hours of content will be streamed covering the 11-day event with at least 72 hours per day in the Paralympics whereas, in the Olympics, total 40,000 hours of television footage and 60,000 hours of digital footage of the Games were distributed by the Olympic Broadcasting Services to its international rightsholders.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Indian TV channels are not interested to broadcast the Paralympics games in their channels simply because of the fact that business houses are least interested in Paralympic Games. Consequently the channels wouldn't get much revenue if the game was telecast. It seems that entire India is suffering from cricket-mania.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Indian television channels are very selective and wont broadcast anything that wont fetch them. Para Olympics according to them is irrelevant sporting event as it is held for those who are differently able and the media is not interested to show such stuff. I would blame the government too. When Sindhu and Sakshi made history at Olympics much hype was created by media and government and even some state governments announced cash rewards. Same kind of gesture should be done now. i appreciate TN CM Jayalaliathaa for announcing two crore cash reward for Thangavelu.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments