You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A general misconception which raises electricity bills

I may be wrong but ready to get corrected and take the advice in a right spirit.

As per my observations, many people don't understand the difference between using a fan and an air conditioner for getting relief or respite from the summer heat.

There is a basic difference between the two systems. A fan consumes an equal amount of electricity whether operated at a slow speed or at a fast speed and also whether the room is kept closed or open. However, in the case of an air conditioner, it consumes more electricity when set at a lower temperature compared to the situations when it is set at a higher temperature. More important, it guzzles electricity when the room is kept open as the cooled air goes out of the air and puts more load on the air conditioner to work more to further reduce the temperature.

Because of ignorance of this fine difference many first time users, use the air conditioners like fans i.e. they lower the temperature to 18-degree centigrade and keep the room open which results in inflated electricity bills.

What are your observations in this regard?
    Kailash,

A fan doesn't consume the same amount of electricity at different speeds. In fact it consumes lesser amount of electricity at lesser speeds & higher amount of electricity at higher speeds..

#578294: I think a fan consumes same amount of electricity at different speed. The speed is controlled by the regulator, which is nothing but a resistor.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Gypsy - As far as I know, the regulator eats ups the energy when the fan is set at a lower speed and the electricity consumption remains the same. Will you please throw more light on the subject matter?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Well, my knowledge says that the older resistor type regulators in case of fans were not helpful in lowering the power consumption at low speed. But the current breed of thyristor type regulators would be efficient in regulating the power consumption along with the speed.

The electronic regulators would save around 40 to 50 percent of electricity at speed 1 and the saving could be around 25 percent at speed 3.

Live....and Let Live...!

I wont agree with the author that a fan consumes equal electricity when run on slow, medium or fast. What I understand from my personal experience that we have to purchase only branded fans like Usha, Crompton , Inalsa and so on. In Hyderabad we have many number of local brands which is available at the half rate and those fans consumes more electricity as told by the author. And as regards air conditioner consuming more electricity when the doors are kept open and that may be the fact. But invariably the coolers we use during summer consumes more electricity because motor and fan functions simultaneously.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Gypsy - Please throw more light on your stand that the fans consume equal electricity whether run at a higher speed or slower speed. It is obvious that the different models of fans are likely to consume a different amount of electricity.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I don't think a fan consumes the same amount of electricity at all regulations. Also I would like to know more about Thyristors. Can Mr. Kamat tell us how do we ensure that the fan we bought works on thyristor and not resistor?

Timmappa,

I think that it is the other way round i.e. in the resistor based regulators, lesser amount of electricity is consumed at lower speeds & higher amount of electricity is consumed at higher speeds, whereas in the present breed of regulators which use transistors, it consumes an almost equal amount of electricity at lower speeds & higher speeds.

Kailash, this should suffice your query too, I hope.

Joyshree, It can be asked while buying a fan or a regulator.

Sign In to post your comments