You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

NSSO survey: Sikkim is the cleanest state!

The results of survey carried out last year by National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) has been released today by Union Rural Development Minister, Mr. Narendra Singh Tomar. As per the survey, Sikkim has been adjudged the cleanest state while Jharkhand has come last in the list on the condition of sanitation in rural areas of twenty-six states. The survey has listed Kerala, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Haryana, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Meghalaya among the top 10 states. Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Jammu & Kashmir have failed poorly.

Interestingly, the performance of Gujarat, the home-state of Hon'ble PM, is average (14th position) only.

Kudos to beautiful Sikkim and its colourful people.
    Kudos to Sikkim for being adjudged as the best cleanest state in India. But I am surprised as to why there is no mention of Telangana and AP. Are we not in the list of states in the country. This kind of farce report by NSSO does not have any credence unless and until they conduct survey in all the states. in fact Telangana is cleaner than any Southern state and the government is doing well in keeping the Sanitation. In fact I shall blame Maharastra for its worst up keep of the environs as you to go any bus stand across the state, there is no one to sweep and the garbage is thrown on the bus bays.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The top 10 states are as follows -

1.Sikkim
    2.Kerala,Sikkim
    3.Mizoram,
    4.Himachal Pradesh,
    5.Nagaland,
    6.Haryana,
    7.Punjab,
    8.Uttarakhand,
    9.Manipur and
    10.Meghalaya

The survey was conducted in the year 2015 covering 73,176 households in 3,788 villages across the country and the ranking was based on the percentage of households having toilets.

Sikkim is the least populous state in India and the second-smallest state after Goa in terms of the total area.

Sindhudurg in Maharashtra emerged as the cleanest district in the country.

Telangana state was covered in the survey and 42.13% households were found to have access to the toilets.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

If you compare the top 10 cleanest states of India with the failure / uncleanness states, there is one major difference that is population. The most polluted or unclean states are highly populated and major mines and industries. Second difference is about their education or literacy. The literacy of Sikkim is average 79.82% (85.42% in female and 73.42% in male). Literacy rate of Kerala is 93.91%, Mizoram with 91.58%, Himachal Pradesh with 83.78%, Nagaland 80.11%, Haryana 76.64%, Punjab 76.68%, Uttarakhad 79.63%, Manipur 79.85%, and Meghalaya with 75.48%. Top ten illiterate states of India are Bihar, Telengana, Arunachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. It could be the main reason for uncleanness in their states.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

The above ranking is based purely on the basis of the numbers of household which have access to the toilets either private or community-based. It has nothing to do with the visible cleanliness at the public places in the form of absence of littering or any such other factors.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The point made by Mr.Naresh Kumar Behera is absolutely valid. The main cause of problem in such states is their population and illiteracy. Also, one more factor should be the jobs and industries. The state or city which attracts people from other states for jobs are also not clean.

The problem is in the mindset and mismanagement of waste. In foreign countries there are many waste management companies which takes care of all the waste generated. Also, the mentality has to change.

#578385: Mr. Behera, I beg to disagree. I feel that sense of cleanliness is a matter of habit. It has no relation with education. I have seen the home of many tribal people. I have been astonished to find the homes of Santhal, Munda and various other tribes spotlessly clean.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I have been to Gangtok- Sikkim in year 2009. The best ever vacation I had was in Gangtok. The beautiful place with very kind and loving people. One can note a cute smile every time on every one's face. It does not matters whether you are known to them or not.
    The city was very very clean and one cannot even find a toffee/chocolate wrapper easily. They have even some restrictions on the usage of personal vehicles.
    Many people address Gangtok as 'The Switzerland' of India and I completely agree with them.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

Sign In to post your comments