You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you believe in stores with traditional and recognizable names?

I've seen many stores in the traditional and familiar names like Kolkata Bakery, Agarwala Sweets, Hyderabadi Biryani, Mathura Sweets, Kerala's Ayurveda, Raghavendra Tiffins (in Andhra Pradesh), etc in many cities and towns. Though such names don't belong to the origin or owner of the said brand, but people believe and go regularly to purchase and get the services.

In this matter, I want to know from my friends does the stores really belongs to the owner? If not, how can they put such brand names without any permission? If yes, why there is vast difference in tastes and services? Please clarify me with your opinions.
    There is a Government of India department known as the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. Under DIPP there is an organization - the Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks (CGPDTM) which is located at Mumbai and looks after the trademarks also besides their other entrusted functions. The Trade Marks registry is at Mumbai and its branches are located in Kolkata, Chennai, Ahmedabad and New Delhi.

The registration of a trademark confers upon the owner the exclusive right to the use the trademark in respect of goods and services offered by them. Many establishments have registered their trademarks and use the same across India. In the corporate sectors the companies are registered under the Companies Act with the Registrar of Companies under Ministry of Corporate affairs, Government of india. In addition there are other related laws which are applicable in such cases.

However, in the unorganised sector, people are either actually ignorant about the concerned laws or pretend to be so and often select any name which is likely to attract attention of the customers. Often they selected a name which is similar to a reputed brand.

As the saying goes, there is nothing in the name. The reputation of a commerial venture largely depends on the quality of goods/services and trust built over a long period of time.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

There are two kinds of stores which can be mentioned here. One pertains to chain stores which have similar names and exists across the country or across the particular state. For example Spenser super market is the famous southern super store established in class cities across the South India. Like wise if you take More Super Market, they have established across Hyderabad and many districts in Telengana and AP too. And coming to Raghavendran Tiffin center, it is also a chain of Karnataka based hotel group who are catering to the exclusive taste of vegetarian food and their specialty is the same menu and same taste which can be experienced in any branch. Like wise the famous Hyderabad Biryani served through Paradise Hotel Secunderabad is now available through their own outlets at Begumpet, Hitechcity, Masab Tank, and other places. If a store gets clicked, surely branches would appear.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments