You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Is the story of Vamana and Mahaballi the original myth of Onam in Kerala?

Onam is the biggest festival in Kerala, India. It is the end of harvesting and though called Thiru Onam. Recently the Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh approached to turn Onam into Vaman Jayanti, the fifth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. So there is a debate among Malayali society as some Dalit intellectuals and activists read the original myth of Mahabali who used to dominate dalits (lower castes) and it was the day when Dalit King was murdered. Some says Vamana sent Mahavali to hell, some ignores this statement. So what you say, why Onam is being celebrated in Kerala and what's your saying on these days' argument on Onam?
    Let us see the positive aspects first. As far as, I know by reading various resources, Onam is the only festival which is celebrated by entire Kerala irrespective of religion, caste and creed. I would rather request the ISCians who hail from Kerala to confirm or otherwise regarding the fact.

As far as mythological stories are concerned, there are more than one stories. Religious matters are purely based on faith and beliefs and scientific dissection of the same is neither possible nor required.

In India, we have a peculiar mindset of politicising each and every matter. Not only religion but we are prone to infuse caste factors also in everything.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think it is wrong to say that Onam is celebrated by all Keralites irrespective of religions. People otherthan Hindus must be celebrating Onam on a low scale. It should be confirmed by our fellow ISC members hailing from Kerala to update ISCians knowledge on Onam celebration in Kerala.
    No life without Sun ¤

Onam is basically a Hindu festival. Earlier (say 30 years ago), other religious communities used to take part in the festival,but nowadays other religious communities have been gradually disassociating themselves from Onam and the related festivities.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

When some regional festivals of a particular state are being celebrated with fervor and total happiness there should not be any doubt or ambiguity over it. Onam is the traditional Malayalee festival mainly to welcome the arrival of Mahabali to their homes and thus every Malayalee home would be renovated and the at the door step Pookilam or Rangoli arranged with flower pattern is made with elaborate style and looks so that it should arrest even the onlookers too. The opposite house of mine is the Malalayee family and they are already doing this Pookolam in spite of rains here.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I have no idea about celebrating Onam as Vaman Jayanti. However, the appropriateness of Vaman Jayanti may be commented upon the experts in Mythology and Ancient Indian History. The genesis of Onam in Kerala is also required to be considered.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I accept the last two lines of response(#578642) of Kailash, of late in India everything has been politicising and this festival is celebrated in Kerala nowadays by all without any barrier of caste/creed etc.,

At least let this continue and even it should spread to other region positively and not the negativity spread to Kerala.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.