You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

I am ashamed! I haven't heard about him earlier!

We always talk about our cricketers. If any cricketer scores a century or takes five wickets in an inning, we talk about him for six months. Then when Olympics come, we discuss the reasons why India couldn't win more medals, blame the Government and then go back to the television to watch the cricket match, most probably the IPL circus
    When this has been our mental condition, a physically impaired athlete won Gold medal in Athens-2004 in javelin throw, creating World Record! After another 12 years (you have heard it right!), he has broken his own World Record and won another Gold at Rio Paralympics-2016 in the same event!

I am deeply ashamed that I didn't hear about Devendra Jhajharia earlier! My salute to this great young man who has made India proud in the world arena of sports.
    At the outset congrats to Devendra Jhajharia for scoring gold at RIO para Olympics by breaking his own record and thus proved to be a star in Javelin throw. Fortunately we are all not aware of these silent performers who are bringing laurels to our country and yet they are kept low in patronizing either by government or the media. Modi must convene a meeting of all the winners of the Para Olympics and also all the participants of this event and previous event so that in future we would also cheer these great athletes who are no less than our Sachin or Dhoni.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Devendra Jhajharia has become the first Indian to win 2 Paralympic golds. He is a native of Rajgarh in Churu district of Rajasthan and had lost his left arm below the elbow after being electrocuted when he was 18 years old.

Jhajharia had won his first gold medal in the year 2004 in the Athens Paralympic and had set a world record of 62.15 meters in Javelin throw event. This time in Rio Paralympics, he bettered his own world record by achieving 63.97 meters.

He is currently employed with the Sports Authority of India and earlier he had worked with the Indian Railways. He was conferred with a Padam Shri in the year 2012 and Arjuna Award in the year 2004. He is married and has one son and one daughter.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I believe blaming Cricket because other sports here in India are less popular is not fair. A few decades ago cricket was in similar condition as other sports. Kudos to BCCI that they lifted the things up and now cricket is the most developed thing in India. Foreign Engineers or any other professionals don't want to come to India for job but likes of Brett Lee and Scott Styris are doing commentary in Tamil Nadu Premiere league.

The reason that we struggle at other sports is that we don't have a sports culture here. Government does not care about sportsmen not even cricketers. Those were the days when Indian team had to collect fund through charity to travel abroad. The problem is from root level to the top and each and everyone of us are responsible. I have posted an article about "Why India struggles at Olympics". You can find it in the sports section in articles. I have explained the reasons deeply there.

#578954: In this thread, I have not blamed cricket. I have blamed common spectators who think sports and cricket are synonymous. I have been a great fan of cricket since my childhood (I used to follow even Duleep Trophy and Ranji Trophy matches with interest), but that doesn't mean that I would not have any interest on other sports.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments