You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Two live threads running concurrently on the same/similar topic in the forum section of ISC

Presently, two threads on each of the following same/similar topics are active concurrently -

1. Organic food
    2. Swadeshi Jeans
    3. Interstate river dispute

I remember instructions/guidance issued by the ME/other editors from time to time to the members to not to raise threads on similar topics and check the active threads to ensure the same prior to raising a new thread. Few of threads raised by me were locked also in the past due to said reason.

I have not cited URLs as the threads are currently live and can be located by the editors easily.

I request the editors to please further elucidate the ISC policy in this regard for the benefit of the members.
    What I feel that the threads which you are referring to Swadeshi Jeans - one was raised by you and I have not noticed it, and the other thread which I raised is totally a different heading and do have the mention of Jeans in the content. By the way the editors are also seeing the posts since it was loaded and never questioned the same. So when it is acceptable to the ISC, why the author is raking up the issue now and then . This is the second time you have mentioned about the same. Every member thinks differently on a same issue or subject and if that is converted into a thread here, what is wrong ?
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Mohan Ji - Please don't take it personally. It is a matter of ISC policies and the question is addressed to the editors only. As a matter of fact, your comment on this thread also is irrelevant since a question raised for editors are not supposed to be intervened by the other members and as per the prevailing policies, such responses are awarded negative points by the editors.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

When the issue is concerned to one of my threads and If I am not responding or defending then who else can do the honor.
    K Mohan

Members are requested not to get into a spat over such issues! Forum editors will check it out.

Note that we do have similar threads if the aspects of a topic are completely differing. For example, we did allow multiple threads related to Reliance JIO services due to the various angles that were discussed about it.

Also, if there are similar threads, instead of raising a thread on it, why not send a message to Lead Editor Saji with the URLs? He will do the needful.

We would also appreciate it if members do not take it upon themselves to make comments on whether or not a response is irrelevant and whether or not a member deserves negative points. It is for the editorial team to decide that surely!

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

With reference to #578805, I would wish to add my opinion that even the concerned response sounds of irrelevant nature. Even when the thread is directed towards the editors, the members can post their responses to the thread. I have never seen it being banned in ISC so far.
    Live....and Let Live...!

The matter has been looked into and I would like to submit as follows-

1. http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148155-Swadeshi-Jeans-to-be-lauched-by-Patanjali-to-end-the-dominance-of-the-MNCs.aspx -by Kailash- dated 12th Sept
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148192-After-Yoga-Groceries-and-cosmetics-Ramdev-Patanjali-to-sell-Jeans-to.aspx -by K Mohan- dated 13th Sept

I have locked the thread by Mr Mohan for responses now. I have not reduced the points because editors are also responsible for having allowed two threads on the same topic to run simultaneously. Active members who religiously follow the forum index should not fail to notice an earlier thread on the same topic with almost similar contents.

2. http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148195-The-attraction-behind-eating-organic-food.aspx -by Sharadha dated 13th Sept.
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148194-The-attraction-behind-eating-organic-food.aspx -by Sharadha dated 13th Sept.

See the forum thread numbers- 148194 & 148195, both by the same author and dated 13th Sept. It is quite obvious that the author had posted it twice by mistake. One of them with fewer responses has now been locked.

3. http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148172-What-could-be-permanent-solution-for-interstate-water-disputes-in-India.aspx -by Bhuvaneswara Rao Nalla dated 12th Sept.
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148198-An-issue-can-lead-to-a-big-turmoil-in-seconds.aspx -by Gagan Ahari dated 13th Sept.
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/148173-Do-you-know-that-water-too-can-burn-things.aspx -by Sun dated 12th Sept.

While I agree that the core theme of all these threads is the same, I do think that the problem has been approached by the members from different angles. If Bhuvaneswara is asking for a permanent solution to inter-state water disputes, Gagan is talking about how we tend to react without knowing actual facts and Sun is expressing his concern over some groups in Karnataka not respecting the Supreme Court verdict.

I understand that responding members may react to all these threads in the same manner but then that is not what we expect. Jumping into threads without bothering to check the contents properly and giving it some thought is not something that our members need to do. What stops them from going through a thread and posting a valid response according to the contents that has been raised? On just seeing the word 'Cauvery', starting to jot down whatever you know about the issue is not responsible posting, right?

We have always maintained and reiterate that members, at least those who have been with this site for sometime, must try to be more responsible instead of always trying to point a finger at the editors. We do keep a check but it is quite possible that we may miss out sometimes. We do keep track of the forum threads and responses but doesn't the responsibility of ensuring that the site maintain and ensure certain policies lie with all of us; if not equally, at least partially?

And the author may please note that his threads, if they have been locked/deleted on similar grounds, must have had same or may be more valid reasons for the editors to do so.

Inspiration is one thing but a blatant (and veiled in some cases) effort to hijack an idea will surely be taken more seriously. Let me be blunt in putting it across that no one must try to make an effort to get some views from the editors, on some pretext, in a bid to register them as precedence because, though we have basic guidelines, we do work on case to case basis. Missing out a few threads does not mean that others who follow suit will get the same benefit.

In addition to this, I would like to mention that we do give some leverage at times unless we feel that the same is misunderstood by some members that we are not watching.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

I am satisfied by the elucidation offered by the Lead Editor Saji Ganesh. From my side the I have no objection if the thread is now locked.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Though I am confused, may request the LE Saji to put some light in more clear way so that less educated members like me can understand properly. What you actually mean to say about your statement of this -

"Let me be blunt in putting it across that no one must try to make an effort to get some views from the editors"

You use the word "must" . Does it mean we should all oblige editors views even if they are wrong? Don't we as a member need clarification if we want to know from our editors what is our mistakes?

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Jeets at #578842, my sentence under reference reads as "Let me be blunt in putting it across that no one must try to make an effort to get some views from the editors, on some pretext, in a bid to register them as precedence because, though we have basic guidelines, we do work on case to case basis" and not as quoted by you. Read it in total and you will get my point. It has got nothing to do with seeking clarifications or otherwise. It is related to our views on established guidelines and policies of ISC as expressed from time to time as responses to queries by some members.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Thank you Saji, got your point.
    "Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

I just cannot understand what made the editor to delete my thread which had different heading and seeking different response from the members when compared to the author's thread. If this is the case then ISC must keep its archive ready and delete the threads which some where or the other resemble to be the one already raised and punish the authors.
    K Mohan

Mr Mohan, I don't think there is any need to explain the point further as matters are clear. I am locking this thread now.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.