You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Requests

A special appeal to ISCians - restore our forum to its happy place!

This thread is addressed to all members of the ISC family. Lately, we (and I mean all of us, including general members, myself and the editorial team) seem to be having a lot of (a) misunderstandings (b) taunts being made and (c) authoritarian directives being issued in the forum.

Let's make an effort, shall we, to sensibly resolve these issues and restore our forum to its happy place, making it less acrimonious.

My suggestions:
    To avoid misunderstandings: When we are using some proverb, quote or metaphor to make comparisons, we could be a little more clear and explain the comparison. This will prevent any misunderstandings of somebody getting offended. If we don't understand, let's simply ask what was meant and get clarity about it.

To avoid taunts: Just don't! Somebody says that he won awards at a sister site. We should not taunt his achievements, stating that there are only a handful of members at that site & winning awards at ISC is more of an achievement. Somebody happily mentions reaching a milestone. Why smirk about it verbally? Somebody suggests giving supporting evidence for an opinion aired. We should not taunt him stating that the evidence is asked for just to get the winning edge. Forum threads are not games of one-upmanship! Also, do not taunt somebody for lack of ignorance about something. Explain things in a friendly manner without making a provocative comment that would generate a retaliatory response.

To avoid authoritarian directives: We appreciate members taking the initiative to extend a helping hand by giving instructions on how to post something, but do avoid issuing directives to other members. If you feel somebody has raised an irrelevant response, bring it to the notice of a forum editor. If somebody has some problem about loss of points or cash credits, do not indulge in wild speculations. A forum editor will inform the Webmasters about it. If for some reason the thread has been overlooked or the problem has not been attended to/resolved, the member can contact a forum editor and request that it be looked into.

Your thoughts on this.....
    Good appeal at the right time. Yes we are dignified enough to maintain decent and decorum and see that forum section is not filled with personal allegations or complaints. Hence forth ISC must delete those thread which criticize the author and drift away from the thread content. If some one poke the nose, surely there would duel between two or more members. And raising of any thread is the prerogative of any member and if that is presumed to be duplicate or wrong only the editors should have the right to say and take action and not the co-members .
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

First you do make mistakes and create misunderstanding then run to make it up! I think if the editorial member behave properly, I don't think any problem would raise. But unfortunately most of the time it appears as if we are under obligations of the editor, we have to post the matter which should suit their opinion. Any thing got deleted even without understanding the fact! If we get offended by editors, its ok! But they should not get offended by the members?
    Have you taken the step from your editors group at first!

I sincerely hope that you won't delete my this post as an offense to your editorial panel.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Jeets,
    Your response #578894 won't be deleted.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Great!! its new beginning then!

However, I have made it into my habit to take screen shot of what I post. So that I would save myself.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Noted the appeal. I also hope this appeal includes all (including the Editors).
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Partha,
    Some friendly advice: You miss out on story contest prizes due to not reading the text of the announcement thread, just as you missed out on reading the first few sentences of this thread's text.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

My account is based on the following few basic presumptions -

1. There is only one set of policies and guidelines finalised by the owners of the website i.e. the Webmasters which is applicable for all constituents members/editors etc. alike.
    2. Because of the shortage of manpower, it is not possible for the editorial team to scrutinise each and every content being posted in the various sections of the website. Therefore, activities of certain members are being monitored more closely, because of a history of their past activities.
    3. The ISCians know very well that the editorial functions are much more broad-based than merely shorning off points using the editorial razor. Rather, it is the last resort when everything else fails.

In above backdrop, practically what happens that sometimes it appears to the members under scrutiny that they are getting a different type of treatment than the other members whose activities are not getting monitored due to manpower shortage.

After the temporary absence of ME, a few months back, there had been a lot of improvement in the forum section as a whole. The number of quibbling and 'locking horns with editors' cases have diminished considerably and the quality, level and standard of contents have also got improved. Contents like sharing jokes, quotations, quizzes etc. have also got lessened.

Thus I see improvement instead of any cause of concern being portrayed by the ME.

By restoring , do we mean reverting back to her pre-absence period's scenario?

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I always appreciate the Webmaster and ME's contemplation on every aspect of IndiaStudyChannel and for its perfection. Members should not take this liberally, and must think optimistically while participating in ISC and/or keeping interest to participate in future. ISC is completely an educational knowledge site with various options. Millions of people are getting benefited from this site. However, as forum section is open to all, members have given rights to raise their voice or post their views positively, not against any caste, creed, community, religion and matters that hurt others emotionally. Hence, I admit and appeal the same our members and editors to make forum a happy place forever.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

Forum is a happy place forever. Forum was/is/will be a happy place for the members of ISC family. Like in any family, small misunderstanding, taunts, authoritative directive etc are always possible and cannot be avoided. Similar is the case with ISC family. We all need to exercise patience and tolerance to remain happy and cheerful in any odd situation. No doubt, ISC forum is always a happy place to work.

Your this thread is a good reminder.

No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments