You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Salute! This 55 year old professor has 145 academic degrees in his kitty!

Sometime I feel very proud that I have acquired four Master degrees and one PG diploma. I used to think that that was a remarkable achievement. But yesterday I have read about Prof. V.N. Parthiban, who has an astonishing 145 degrees in his kitty, and is still continuing!

Prof. Parthiban has 8 Master of Law degrees, 10 Master of Arts degrees, 8 Master of Commerce degrees, 3 Master of Science degrees, 12 M. Phil degrees and 9 Master of Business degrees. He teaches more than 100 subjects in various colleges of Chennai.

This professor is from an extremely humble background. At an age of 55, he is still active in his pursuit of knowledge and has been planning to continue acquiring degrees till his body permits. He says that he really likes studying and acquiring degrees is not at all difficult. Only problem is that he can't readily remember/recall all the degrees which he has acquired over last 30 years!

My salute to this great knowledge-seeker!
    His work is really admirable. And I guess he never gets weary of studying at all. One should always possess the thirst for knowledge, an unquenchable thirst.

Few people have a penchant or obsession for academic degrees. They print their degrees on the wedding invitation cards also. Normally in civilised society, it is believed by many that the social functions are purely personal in nature and has nothing to do with the academic degrees of an individual.

The visiting card of Professor VN Parthiban, senior lecturer of commerce at RKM Vivekananda College in Chennai has his all the degrees printed on the same. He completed several degrees simultaneously and was always on a lookout for degree courses which don't require a transfer certificate to be submitted.

During published interviews, he has admitted that he could not clear a course in actuarial sciences as it involved a lot of mathematics. He also got failed few times primarily because he had prepared for a for a wrong portion or wrong syllabus and could realise his folly only when question paper was actually delivered to him.

Nonetheless, a big salute to the perhaps largest degree holder of India or world and his passion, devotion and dedication.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Earlier I came to know about Dr. Shrikant Ramchandra Jichkar, and MP who died in a tragic road accident in 2004, who was the most educated person of the country. Now I have come to know about Prof. Parthiban.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Learning Never Ends. Learn to Learn. A humble greeting to Prof. Parthibhan.
    How can I get a contact of him to have more information about enhancing my M.com studies ?
    Its a great work to share the knowledge here.

There is one observation about the degrees of Prof. V.N. Parthiban. It appears that he has a fad for a degree, not higher learning as he didn' bothered for any degree higher than a master's level degree . He has no Ph.D. degree or above. Thus his pursuits are spread horizontally, not vertically.

One can go for Ph.D. or D.Litt. or D.Sc. or LL.D. or D.M. etc. after master's level depending upon his selected stream.

Also, it is not clear to me if earning many degrees simultaneously is allowed legally.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

#579006: He has 12 M.Phil degrees. Most probably, he is not interested in acquiring Ph.D because if he registers for Ph.D, he can't take admission in other courses. Moreover, Ph.D may take 3-5 years of time.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

My salute to professor Parthiban. How do you come to know about such information Partha Ji.
    'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

Respect for Professor Pratibhan. He has really filled his name with meaning.

Also, I could not understand the point of response #578974 by Mr. Kumar. Can he provide any reference when Professor Pratibhan mentioned his degrees in his wedding card? What was the need of pointing it out here?

As far as mentioning his educational qualifications on his visiting cards is concerned, I don't find it wrong . As the thread author has shared in advance, Professor Pratibhan has been teaching various subjects over all these years. His visiting card must show how and in how many fields he can be useful for someone. I hope Mr. Kumar did not intend to quote it as 'show off'.

I join others in saluting this geeky person.

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

My hearty congrats to Prof. Parthiban for having completed 145 academic degrees so far and that proves his quench to learn more and perseverance to the hilt. Normally we either stop the studies after getting job and thinking that there should be full stop at certain age. and this person seems to the epicenter for learning and one must treat him the guru of all learning . During teachers day we must remember people of this caliber and try to emulate him in learning things beyond control. By the way he must have unconditional support and financial aid from outside , otherwise doing so many degrees wont be possible by the ordinary citizen.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#579138: Mr. Mohan, the correspondence studies are cost-effective and within the reach of middle-class families. Strong will and determination are more relevant/necessary than money to complete degrees.

Sign In to post your comments