You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What are the benefits and side effects of green chillies?

Think green chillies only provide spice to your dishes? Learn the good health benefits too as well as the side effects of green chillies.

Some of the benefits of green chillies are: They is an excellent source of Vitamin, A, B, C and E. It has many minerals like molybdenum, manganese, folate, potassium, thiamine, and copper. Chillies contain seven times more vitamin C than orange. Chillies have been included in Ayurveda medicines and used as tonic to ward off many diseases. Chillies are good for slimming down as it burns the calorie easily. Chillies stimulate the appetite, help to clear the lungs, and stimulate digestive system.

Can you explore some more benefits and side effects of green chillies?
    I remember a joke prevalent during my childhood. After ingesting hot chillies people make efforts to quell its effect by airing the mouth which makes a typical whistling sound akin to the pronunciation of the word 'C'. It was joked that this is because the chillies contain more vitamin C.

Chillies contain capsaicin which is an analgesic agent used for pain management of arthritis. Capsaicin is used in pepper sprays also which is a form of less-lethal weapon often recommended for use to thwart attempts of eve-teasing and molestation etc.

Its hotness or 'heat' is measured in the Scoville heat units (SHU).

In the Indian household, chillies are used as an ingredient in most of the curries and other culinary concoctions. It is used both in the form of dried powder of ripened chilled as well as in the form of green chillies. Personally, I am a connoisseur of chillies and like the curries hot.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments