You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How to avoid ATM threats - a social engineering menace

Worried about the growing trend in ATM card scamming? Get knowledgeable to be alert for ATM threats from the tips and guidance given here and be safe against such threats.

Social engineering (Security) is the idea of scamming or conning. Social Engineering is a word connoting the act of illegally influencing a personnel or a device to collect the confidential information with an unwanted intention. In other words it is the act of stealing the data base of an organisation. But the act has been widely entering into the financial confidence of individuals.
    International financial robbers are roaming all over the globe. So it is time to have some knowledge about social engineering. Examples of social engineering are the following:
    1. A call request for a password change.
    2. A call pretending to be an authority
    3. "Shoulder Surfing "
    4.Incognito - Secrete person using the password
    5."Dumpster Diving "
    6. Messages asking asking to open links
    7. Winner Message

Here we will discuss how to avoid ATM threats-
    1. Avoid negligence of ATM cards. It is as same as cash not a plastic card alone
    2. Keep the PIN numbers in secrete spaces, not in wallet or in mobile notes but in your minds. Remember a human mind is much powerful than a computer and computer is invented by a huna mind. So you can remember your ATM PIN.
    3. Change passwords after all long travels. Especially after travelling abroad
    4. Do not use ATM cards to substandard selling points.
    5. Do not give any details of your ATM cards over telephone in any case to a third person
    6. If you have more money , use call deposits than savings deposits.
    7. Keep on watching news updates of ATM scams.
    The term social engineering is a much wider concept and is not restricted to the security aspects alone. Efforts to influence attitudes or social behaviour on a large scale are described as social engineering as a discipline of social sciences.

Generally, people have certain specific attributes in the decision-making process which are sometimes called as 'bugs in the human hardware'. Most of the people have certain specific patterns of selecting passwords etc. using dates of births, anniversaries or other easy to remember number/words combinations. The hackers using social engineering techniques to become able to decipher such confidential information.

People have to be alert about phishing, vishing, spoofing etc.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

For the first time I am coming across the word Social Engineering and it really matters to us. We do find conman prowling on the street to take advantage of gullible public who seems to be careless in their life. In every ATM there are two or three machines kept and at a time two or three customers try to vend the money from the machine. Please note that after withdrawing the money, if we are not cancelling the entry, there are every chance of other person using your account and withdrawing the money. No doubt instant messages are coming on withdraw of amount, but by the time you leave the ATM, the damage is already done.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

An educative and informative thread from the author alerting the members to take care of their ATM cards. I wish to know what is 'Call deposit' as quoted by the author as his 6th point " If you have more money , use call deposits than savings deposits." I request the author to explain the term 'Call deposit' to update my knowledge.
    No life without Sun ¤

A really useful thread for the common users of ATM. I thank Mr. Anil Kumar, the originator of this thread, for this useful thread. I am planning to save this thread for future reference and also to intimate my friends and relatives in this regard.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

A call deposit is a deposit which can be withdrawn at call notice. Rules and interest rates depends on banking policies of the country and the banks.
    In my research call deposits are not popular in India, in the modern banking.
    Call deposits are operated by Bank of India - UK
    Please go thru www.bankofindia.uk.com.
    Call deposits are prevailing in different parts of the world.
    In Kerala Co-operative banks used to operate at a time.
    We can urge the banking sector to reopen the scheme which will be a safe deposit against cyber theft.

Sign In to post your comments