You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

Para Olympics vs Olympics - Influencing factors

India did well in Para Olympics at Rio, 2016.
    Today, I read an article written by Divya Abhat ( available online at .npr.org), which discusses the factors influenced India's success.
    Some of them are;
    a. Indian government recently passed a first-of-its-kind corporate social responsibility law.
    b. Target Olympic Podium Scheme
    c. Better media coverage
    Do you all see any other factors which shall have bigger impact and motivate more wins in both para Olympics and Olympics ?

I personally believe in media and I believe it can make change.
    Thanks.

One more additional and very important is about the awarding to Paralympic winners with 'Khel Ratna' award that was declared by the sports minister yesterday.
    I think qualified sportspersons and athletes must be given free and ample support and opportunity by the department to participate and take training simultaneously. There should not be any compromise in their lifestyle, training, education and health at any cost as they are one kind of assets to our country. They must keep away from all negative influences by media and government should focus on their talent, not their mistakes, education or any other minuses.

Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

There is a major difference in the Olympics and Paralympics in the sense that the number of aspirants in the Olympics is manifold which has resulted in malpractices in selections and illegal practices like drug abuse etc. Since the Government plays a very important role in supporting the sports by allocating funds etc. the weaknesses of the Government system like reservations in the posts of officials etc. also play a negative role. The possibility that there are considerations based on caste, creed, religion, region etc. in the selection of athletes in the Olympics, cannot be ruled out entirely.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, the Government has announced that the Paralympic medal winners would also be considered for 'Rajeev Gandhi Khelratna' award. It is, no doubt, a welcome step. It would encourage physically handicapped people to opt for sports. This announcement is also in accordance with the present Government's policy of encouragement towards handicapped people. I am really happy with this announcement.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments