You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is honesty still the best policy?

Take a moment, think silently and then response to this thread with your utter honesty.

Since our childhood, from our teachers, our parents this is what we learn. But when we come out to this world and face it in front, the truth which comes out is uglier than what you have ever imagined.

Though, I strongly believe in honesty but I get hurt sometime when I see something wrong happening in front of me. Then, I go back, re energize myself and respond to the world the way I know. Yes, it is very difficult to hold back your emotions and say something without hurting anyone but again if the truth "hurts" then dishonesty "destroy" the believe in our society, country or any organization. However, if you talk the truth, those people get more offended those who shout about their "honesty".

There are only two options left; if you really want to live like a good man in this world. Either you become diplomatic or sycophants. Yeah, only these kinds of people have more importance in our society and in any organizations than anyone else.
    Honesty is a manmade concept. Perhaps its meaning is not static. Instead, it is dynamic i.e. keeps on changing with the times. The meaning of the concept as interpreted by Raja Harish Chandra is likely to be different that what it means to the Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Therefore we have to live with the contemporary meaning of the word honesty.

Honesty in certain basic things is still relevant and is still the best policy e.g. in being honest to the parents, spouse , children and such other family members.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes Honesty is still the best policy and even the courts have recognized this. By being honesty we may face hostility within the family and even friends and relatives. But that should not deter a person to remain honest. I have personally seen that those who are honest in their life are not deceived by others as the God comes to their help. And those who are dishonest, they are being shown the way of their ugly behavior and within the evening time they lost the money or defamed in public. So those who are honest we have to respect their character and their sentiment.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Perhaps, this is the first time I am hearing that honesty is a man made concept. I don't know how many of us would be agree with Mr. Kailash Kumar but certainly I am not. For me honesty is a moral character which comes from your within. Which affects not only you but your surrounding too. The voice which comes out from our inside before we make any decision is honesty. The value of its meaning is the same as it was during Raja Harishchandra time and it won't change it meaning in future too. However, it is just not possible in today's time to become Harishchandra but at least we can be honest within our profession and ourselves. Honesty has no boundary to be limited only with family , in fact we spent more time in outside world than our family so our responsibilities become even more towards our behaviour.
    "Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Even the morals are man made. The other animals have no morals.

Its called human nature and not man made which don't appear in animal. However, there are exception in animals too. A dog is the animal who are called most honest animal.
    "Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Perpahs the dogs continued to remain honest because they were animals only, not shrewd and cunning like humans.

These words are seems good on books only, I mean who follow this type of rules in our day to day life, everyone some way or the other are lying to someone. All will say that they are following this kind of good customs but yeah the truth is that they all are lying, I too have seen many guy who will say that they are saying truth but at last they will lie at our backs, so now a day nobody not even the bigger personality follow this, because their fames and names and everything are hidden truth.
    live happily in every situation of life

Kailash Kumar, first you said animals have no moral, now you say dog remain honest because they are animal. In fact there are animals those who are smarter than human. Study is still going on so we just can't say that humans are better than animals. Please don't divert the subject from its main point, you are free to post your response being with the matter in "human" subject.

However, whether it is man made or whatever, it is our nature and character who decide which way to go, in human way or animals way, the choice is ours.

I personally consider honesty is the best policy as far as possible. For a 'small man' honesty is only the best policy. Any deviation will land him in problems. He will land in more and more knots if he tries to be dishonest. This is with regard to law and rules and systems.

However in interpersonal dealings, one has to be a bit diplomatic. At that time he has to remember the old adage" Satyam brooyaat, priyam brooyaat; Na brooyaat satyam apriyam'.
    One has to avoid unpleasant truths. Or if one has to open unpleasant truths, it has to be dressed up and covered in a way to make it pleasant.

That is how a doctor or a lawyer tells about a failing case. "It is serious and difficult, but we shall try our best rest is with God". A teacher informs parent about a student who is sure to fail " He is a good boy, but nowadays not concentrating. It may be difficult to pass bard exam if he does not do more hard work". One has to improvise as per situation, but still say the truth.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Venky Sir, it's really great to read every time the way you select your words and say straight and simple.

Yes, you are right honesty is the best policy for the small people because they do not have much power. Here, the powerful people misused their power still they get away with it. No one can question them. But if the same a normal person does he/she has to take blame on himself/herself.

However sometime the diplomacy too don't work and then there is no other option left but to nail them.

I don't understand why people can't digest the truth and get offended if they want to set an example for others. The truth should come out straight from heart without hiding anything. And then I call such people real saint.

But in real life it just happened opposite if you question such people, you become villain because such people only like sycophants who run behind them.

I firmly believe that honesty is always the best police, if not in short-term, but definitely on longer duration. I have personal experience about this and I am stating this from my personal experience. I can quote many examples, both from my Office as well as from the larger society.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

To me, honesty is the best policy since at times, I have felt offended on concealment of some facts and later with my due apology, I myself reverted back to the old path - the path of honesty so as to get the internal satisfaction. May be it is more related to one's mental - frame and any departure from the honesty would snatch his normal peace once enjoyed by him.
    We need not pressurise any one to follow the same but honesty is the best policy has been understood and appreciated by me.

Sign In to post your comments