You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Does education in mother tongue lead to innovative thinking?

Most of the innovations happen in European countries and USA. One thing we can observe that in most of the western countries, the education will be in their mother tongue even at higher levels, be it in France, Germany, UK, USA, etc. Does education in mother tongue relate to innovative thinking? Are we simply running after English by discarding our mother tongue just to kill our innovative thinking?
    Though the author of the thread has propagated an innovative idea or concept but the language used is other than his own mother tongue. Thus perhaps there is no direct connection between the medium of education and the attribute of innovativeness.

The following Indians or persons having Indian roots have so far won Nobel Prize -
    1. Rabindranath Tagore
    2. C. V. Raman
    3. Mother Teresa
    4. Amartya Sen
    5. Kailash Satyarthi
    6. Har Gobind Khorana
    7. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    8. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan

The last three are/were US citizens. They used the English language during their academic life which enabled them to earn a Nobel Prize.

Rabindranath Tagore became the first non-European to win the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 when his work was translated in the English language, though he had authored his work in his mother tongue.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think that V. Ramakrishnan is not an US citizen. He still holds Indian citizenship. Of course I am not fully sure in this regard.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Kailash sir, I had to use English language to write the concept because ISC doesn't allow any other language other than English.

#579404 - V. Ramakrishnan has citizenship of UK/USA.

Yes those who have studied in their own mother tongue, they always proved to be a class above the rest and everything they studied does not include English. For example in Tamil one can study the maths, science , social and even economics and thus one need not rely on the English language at all. But the takers for such language centrist subjects are less and the teachers are also shying away from this. But there is no doubt that the stalwarts of previous years have excelled in this way. Noted educationist in Telangana was the Ghantavataram who not only excelled in Telugu but also Tamil.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The answer is yes and no. This means it varies from person to person. Even if a person in India studies in vernacular languages, for higher studies, he/she has to opt English as the medium of instruction. So, we can't say that the secret of success or creativity lies with vernacular language. I feel that a person can attain success through the particular language in which he/she is comfortable.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

For a moment by seeing countries like France, Japan and china we may think that these countries are succeeding scientifically with number of innovations only because of they are educating in their mother tongue but that's a myth. In my view there's no differentiation between mother tongue and English language until one fails to understands the subject when taught in English. Language plays a major role in communication and education but is only a tool to transfer the knowledge to students.

In my view, education system implemented in foreign countries makes major difference. those countries that could make major innovations makes their students to study in a practical and research oriented way while we in our country only bother about securing good marks and ranks. In a class where that has all the low grade students, achieving first rank is not a big issue while in a class of all meritorious students achieving a 2nd ranks is still the best than the 1st rank in low grade class. I wonder if the world feels like this when we purposefully glorify our intermediate and engineering ranks.

So, the only thing that makes difference is education system but not the language.

Regards,
    Venkat Satish Mamidisetti,
    Electrical Engineer.

In India, the primary motive of completing a degree program is to acquire eligibility criteria for getting a Government job which comes with a very high degree of job security, lesser accountability and scope for corrupt practices. We are paying the price of policies like reservations in Government educational institutions and Government jobs. Incidentally, the demands are being raised for reservations in jobs in the private sector also.

Under such circumstances, innovation is sometimes seen in the ingenious use of technology in copying during examinations, forging fake degree certificates and weird ideas about running an engine on water etc.

The medium of education i.e. whether English or the mother tongue becomes less important in such an environment.

My answer is yes. In any standard level the education should be met with full understanding and without understanding there is no use of learning anything. So, one should learn his education through mother tongue. Simple example I am giving here. When we travel in a city of other language we suddenly inclined to the name board written in our own mother tongue. When we hear any voice in our mother tongue automatically our head turn towards the direction. When we went to Nagpur once (I went there earlier but for my relatives it was first time)I took them to a restaurant in Sitabuldi which run by a Tamilian and there is name board also in Tamil. By seeing the tamil name board, our people got joy in eating. So, the innovative thinking in anybody could come only if they understand the subject well but for understanding the subject well the studying or understanding through the mothertongue will help more than that of anything.

Thinking is not influenced by medium of education. Language affects the written and spoken inputs only. There are many other inputs of knowledge other than written word and spoken language. Such inputs also can trigger innovative thinking.
    A teacher teaches in English and showing a book he says, "This is a book'. The image of book has no language. That gets imprinted.

However initial education in mother tongue is advisable, as the child would have become comfortable with the communicating in mother tongue. Hence it will ease learning at lower classes easier. In higher levels the more languages a person knows the more he can read and get knowledge. That will help more thinking.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Sign In to post your comments