You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

Let's remember India's first Test victory in 1952

India has now been playing its 500th Test match against New Zealand at Green Park, Kanpur. On this occasion, let us remember India's first Test victory in 1952 at Chepauk, Madras (now Chennai) against England.

India was playing the last Test of the series. Indian Captain was Vijay Hazare, one of the greatest bastmen produced by the country. Indian Team consisted of Vinoo Mankad (the greatest all-rounder of the world), Pankaj Roy (Opener), Polly Umrigar (another great batsman), Lala Amarnath (all-rounder), Dattu Fadkar (all-rounder), Prabir Sen (wicket-keeper) and Ghulam Ahmed (off-spinner), among the others.

The Test was played during 6th to 11th February, 1952. Mankad took 8 wickets in the first inning of England and 4 wickets in the second inning. Ghulam Ahmed took 4 wickets in England's second inning. India batted only once. Pankaj Roy scored 111 and Polly Umrigar scored 130.

The first Test victory came almost after 20 years of getting Test status by India. India won the Test by an inning and eight runs.
    England had won the toss and chose to bat. The umpires were BJ Mohoni and MG Vijayasarathi. It was a 5-match series finally drawn 1-1. The match was played on 6,8,9,10 February 1952.

The summary wa as follows -

06.02.52 - day 1 - England first innings 224/5
    07.02.52- rest day
    08.02.52 - day 2 - India first innings 206/4
    09.02.52 - day 3 - England second innings 12/0
    10.02.52 - day 4 - England second innings 183 - end of match

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The cricket fans of these times are not interested about test matches and its statistics but it is great to remember the start of mega saga by our Indian players and real ability of any bowler or batsman or even fielder comes out from the test match. Good to note that India is going to play her 500th test match and surely many stalwarts are produced in the journey. Bishen Singh Bedi, Yerrapalli Prasanna, Eknath Solkar, Gavaskar, Vengsarkar Mohinder and Surender Amarnath., Karsan Guavri, Kapil Dev, Vinod Mankad, Venkat Raghavan, Krishnamachari Srikanth and Dilip Doshi.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

This was one of the remarkable win of India in history of Test matches. The team consists many famous and greatest cricketers like Lala Amarnath, Bishan Singh Bedi, Kapil Dev, etc.
    With regards,
    Ravi
    "Time & Tides waits for none"

#579689: " Lala Amarnath, Bishan Singh Bedi, Kapil Dev," : Dear Mr. Ravi, for your information, Bishan Singh Bedi and Kapil Dev were contemporaries of Lala Amarnath's son, Mohinder Amarnath. Bedi was a player of late sixties and seventies, whereas Kapil was a player of later seventies, eighties and early nineties. India won its first test in 1952.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Well most of us weren't even born back then. Not even my father was born back then and my Grand father was just 5 years old. 64 years ago they registered their first and today, they registered their 130th. One thing worth noting is that Indian team kept improving over the time as they won nothing in first 20 years while the % of victory is 40+ since 2006. This is remarkable improvement.

Sign In to post your comments