You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Journalists were impressed about terrorist's son, but not about martyr's daughter

Around four to five months ago, India's greatest(!) journalists were going ga-ga over a terrorist's son scoring 95% in Xth Board Examination. Barkha Dutt, Rajdeep Sardesai and Sagarika Ghosh tweeted to tell the world about the achievement of Ghalib Guru, son of hanged terrorist, Afzhal Guru.

Sepoy Buta Singh was martyred on 28th May, 1999 at Kargil. His 21 year old widow, Amritpal Kaur, decided to fight the adverse circumstances for the sake of her little daughter. After more than 17 years, the daughter of the martyr, Komal Preet Kaur, topped Punjab Medical Entrance Test in her category.

No wonder, Barkha, Rajdeep and Sagarika are silent about the meritorious daughter and her great mother, who became widow after only 3 years of married life, out of which she could spend only 4 months with her husband!
    It is indeed a matter worth find a mention that the son of a terrorist is brilliant in academics instead of getting strayed in the field of crime. As a matter of fact, Afzal Guru himself had completed the first year of MBBS course in the Jhelum valley medical college.

During an interview, Ghalib Abdul Guru had revealed that he is hoping to get admission in AIIMS and then specialize in neurology and transplant surgery.

We often come across stories in media about students excelling in studies under adverse circumstances e.g. child of a maid/street vendor getting admission in IIT or cracking the coveted civil services examinations etc.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes I am also watching the on going tweets in Twitter as I am also ardent participant in discussions there. What I presume that some journalists are not behaving with their conscience but against it to gear some mileage in the reporting world. But by doing so they are bitterly cornered in the social media and the way the three of them get bad reviews cannot be mentioned here as it amounts to maligning them. One thing is sure that a journo should not have sides and he must report the fact for the benefit of the viewers and not to add any masala from their end and glorify the non existence.

K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

All the sympathy of the liberals lies with the murderers and their families-not with martyrs and their families. Remember Barkha's subsequent comment: "Oh poor Burhan was son of a poor headmaster".
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments