You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

O Come All Ye Faithful: beautiful tradition of singing popular Christmas carols

Every experienced traditional carol singing on the streets of your town or city? Share the unique experience with others through this Christmas carols' thread.

Last week a friend sent me a video of Christmas carolers. It was not the usual setting of a church or an auditorium where the carolers are pre-selected groups. Instead, the video showed youngsters of various ages coming out one by one on the street around a group of residential homes and singing the carol "O Come All Ye Faithful", accompanied with violins or cellos. The residents, on hearing them, came out and enjoyed the whole experience, as could be seen by the emotional expressions on their faces.

The lyrics, credited to John Wade, are as follows:
    O Come All Ye Faithful
    Joyful and triumphant,
    O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem.
    Come and behold Him,
    Born the King of Angels;
    O come, let us adore Him,
    Christ the Lord.

O Sing, choirs of angels,
    Sing in exultation,
    Sing all that hear in heaven God's holy Word.
    Give to our Father glory in the Highest;
    Christ the Lord.

All Hail! Lord, we greet Thee,
    Born this happy morning,
    O Jesus! for evermore be Thy name adored.
    Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing;
    Christ the Lord.

The video was so beautiful, it warmed my heart immensely just in the way it was presented, and the carol was well sung too. Have any of you been fortunate to have such a real life experience either here in India or on a trip abroad? Do share!
    Being an Hindu Tamil, I love Christianity and love to sing songs on Jesus Christ. Most of my mother's relatives are converted Christians. Whenever I visit them I participate in their prayers and sing along with them. As such I never knew the Carols, but few prayer songs in Tamil only. To call it as a Carol, I recollect a song ' Kelungal tharappadum, Thattungal thirakkappadum, Kelungal kidaikkum enrar, yesu Kelungal kidaikkum enrar....'
    .(Ask , you will get it. Knock , the doors will open, Demand, you will be given.......)
    Another song. ' Ellam yesuve, enakellam yesuve"(All Jesus...For me everything is Jesus)

The best song I like is - Theninum iniya yesuvin naamam divya mathuramame....(The name of Jesus is sweeter than honey...) Sung by the great playback singer P Sushila.

No life without Sun

Sun,

I don't really think it is necessary to mention about one's own religion or community or State every time. In this thread at least surely we can have a general response without the need to mention all that. You could have simply said that you loved participating in carol/hymn singing in Tamil language at a relative's house.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Okay Madam. Your good suggestion has been noted for future compliance. Any how, by saying so, I have not hurt any members feeling or caused harm to any religion . I don't think so. If so, my humble apologies to the members concerned.

Praise the Lord.

No life without Sun

When I was young carolers would come home in the dead of night on 22 or 23 Dec. I recall always having to jump out of bed when they arrived. It was such a wonderful feeling. There was always a Santa in the group and my brother and I received Christmas stockings filled with goodies and small toys. Mom would serve Christmas cake and other goodies.

I have experienced Christmas in the UK and it is beautiful – decorations are up as early as September, carolers stand on street corners just to entertain passer-by's and to keep that festive spirit alive – though you do find buskers singing carols too.

A family tradition that I loved when I was young was singing carols at home. Everyone from my dad's family would gather at our place for Christmas lunch & dinner, and as a tradition, we'd all sing carols at night.

In my house we begin playing (recorded) Christmas music from 1st December – it is also when we begin putting up the decorations.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Sun,

With reference to your response in #585552, note that I never implied anything about hurting anybody's feelings or causing harm to any religion! I was merely pointing out my opinion that it is not really required to lay so much emphasis on the religion, etc aspect or yourself or of another person.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

• Sign In to post your comments