You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Help others in becoming tech-savvy!

Nowadays almost everybody has a smartphone (mini computer) and a computer. The field is so vast that nobody can have full knowledge of all the software, apps and shortcuts.

We can enrich our knowledge & others' knowledge by sharing whatever we know & by asking whatever doubts or queries we have. What I propose is we start sharing whatever we know about computers and smartphones, their software, apps, tips and shortcuts in this thread.

-> Everybody is requested not to repeat whatever has been already shared or asked earlier in this thread.
    -> Please do not feel shy or be afraid to ask anything or share anything, immaterial of the fact that how silly the question or query or the tip may be.
    -> It is expected that forum etiquette will be maintained and all the ISC policies and guidelines will be followed.
    Here is my first tip about Gmail-IDs. It may appear silly, but still I am sharing it:-

Since Gmail does not allow special characters in the mail-ID, we generally use periods (dots) to separate the words or names or numbers to make it easy for the reader. We also write '@gmail.com' at the end.

While logging in to Gmail account
    1. we do not need to put those periods (dots). Simply write the mail_ID without the periods (dots). Gmail will accept that and will ask for your password
    2. we do not need to write '@gmail.com' at the end. Simply type in the mail_ID without '@gmail.com' and Gmail will accept that.
    3. Gmail_ID is not case sensitive. Even if we make our Gmail-ID in caps, Gmail will accept it in lowercase too

Example:- suppose my Gmail-ID is ABHISHEKH.VERMA.19999@gmail.com

Now if I type in abhishekhverma19999 (no caps, no dots and no '@gmail.com' at the end) and hit the enter button, Gmail will accept that and ask for my password.

Hope it helps!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Is in the yahoo or any other mail system, full email address including '@ ..........' has to be signed for login?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash,

Even the Mail-ID in Yahoo is not case sensitive and we do not have to write '@yahoo.com' to sign in.

But, Yahoo accepts symbols in the mail_ID whereas Gmail does not accept symbols except the dots or periods. The passwords are case sensitive in Yahoo & Gmail.

Hope that helps!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

I have three functional email IDs none of which contain my full name. What should be an ideal email ID i.e. should it essentially contain the full or first name of the user.

I had created my first email ID as 'emailaddress@ indiatimes.com' which was allowed only for a very short period, after which I had to change my ID as 'emailaddressin@indiatimes.com'. Later the 'indiatimes' mail domain was closed and my that ID too vanished. Nowadays, I use yahoo.com and gmail.com.

An ideal email ID is purely a personal choice. Those who want to reveal their names can have their full name as their mail_ID (may have to add something else in case the ID is already taken). Those who do not want to reveal their full name can choose anything which is allowed.

For business mails, the name of the company is generally a norm and is preferred by almost everybody.

When we want to raise a fresh ID with the Gmail, the acceptance of our name is not that easy and the message says that this particular name is already taken. And when you create a Facebook page or Twitter page and with that same name and style you are now also eligible to get Gmail ID. So in future never try ID directrly for E mail but log in and register through the social media then your name will be immediately accepted. And one more advise make the e mail ID very short and understandable so that any one can pass on the message with ease and with no problem.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,

That does not sound logical to me.

Suppose you are trying to create a new Gmail-ID, Gmail says the ID is already taken. You create an FB account by the same ID and then try to create the Gmail-ID by that same ID. You mean to say that now Gmail will accept the ID, is it? If yes, then I do not agree with you. It is illogical.

Suppose, I agree to your point that a new Gmail-ID can be created for an already taken ID by creating an FB account by the same ID, then there will be two identical IDs in Gmail. So, if I send a mail to one of the person, who has created the same ID taking the FB route, then whom will the mail go to? Can you answer that?

When ever I tried to have direct e mail ID from Gmail , I failed to get it under the pretext that all ready that particular name exists and not available. But when I log in Facebook or Twitter with the same ID which was earlier rejected by Gmail, the same is accepted again by Google without any problem. This has happened to me many times and I have also suggested to many in our family and they have been successful. Just try for your self and you will agree with me.
    K Mohan

OK, I will give it a try!

Gypsy - I could not understand the point raised by Mohan Ji. One has to use already created email ID for login Facebook. Facebook is not creating new email IDs. In case an email ID is not already created, then how one can login Facebook?

I think it will be better if Mohan explained your query in #586013 , Kailash, since I am not sure what he is saying is logical & correct. I will comment on that after giving it a try.

How to remove useless, unused icons from the screen of a smartphone? Isn't there any direct tap-and-delete feature for the icons?
    Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

Kailash I stand by my statement. Go to Facebook or Twitter and log in as new member with a choice of your own ID and password. Once that is done, come to the Google G mail, it will accept that any way. Previously getting a desired ID was very problematic and Google used to deny.
    K Mohan

Vandana,

Hold down your finger on the icon you want to remove, the screen will shrink a little bit and a dustbin will appear on the screen. Drag the icon to the dustbin and you are done.

Hope it helps!

Edit:- Additionally you can move it to back-pages, if you think that you may need it sometime in future.

Mohan, it is illogical.

Suppose I want to create a Gmail like - 'abhishekh.verma@gmail.com' and it is already taken. I go to FB and am able to create an FB id by the name 'abhishekh.verma' . Suppose after that Gmail accepts that (according to you), then would not be two identical IDs of 'abhishekh.verma@gmail.com' there in Gmail?

I don't think that is possible at all. Even if it is possible then whom will a mail go to - to the first id which was already taken or to the newly created identical Id or to both? Beats me.

Can you answer that logically?

I concur with the views expressed by the author Gypsy in his response - #586030.

Since the discussion on online transactions have started after November 8th, the main fear was of security. But a lot can be done with our own prudence and caution. With that in mind my suggestions are as follows.

The trend is now in 'synchronising'. Prima facie it may appeal very much to our lazy habits and is actually practically convenient to a major extent. But prudence requires some caution.

Multiple email id:
    I may suggest that it is preferable to have two or three different Email Ids , and that also one each from different service provider. For example we may have one email with yahoo, another with Gmail and a third one with some other service provider.

Segregated use in multiple devices.
    I may suggest that use each email id only on a specific device. For example you may use g mail id on desktop, yahoo id on mobile, third id on Laptop etc.

Segregated transaction use
    Use one particular device and the email id earmarked for that for a particular sector or type of transactions.

Multiple but Segregated use of data service.
    It is better to have separate data services like broad band connection (with or without WiFi) for home/office use and mobile data for mobile phones.

Multiple bank accounts
    Do not use same bank account for all your transactions. You may have different account with the same bank or accounts in different banks. Even these one has to segregate and use for specific dealings only.

While wallets are useful on the go, such transactions to be used with mobile with a particular email id. Any other transactions which are to be used always on the go are to be linked to the mobile and the linked email id.

ISC payments, utility bill payments, Adsense revenue etc which are to be linked to a bank account may be preferably done exclusively in a desktop or Laptop .

Blogging, forum postings,other subscriptions etc where security is not of very high importance can be segregated and used in one particular device and email id.
    One can plan properly and customise the way one wants. Segregation can help security to a major extent. I need not say that password also need to be different for each Id.
    ( From some of the posts above I can make out that many members are following these suggestions one way or other)

Please note that through Google some people are blocking the easy and essential ID's we want to create and this applies even for domain names. Just type any domain name you want to create, certainly the Google would suggested its own selections. By typing your new essential requirement of domain or ID name, you are giving your interest expressed and thus such names are blocked and expressly said no to the users. This applies to our e mail ID creation directly with Google. Suppose I want to create Mohan Inc. , and once put on the search box, certainly I would be denied and instead asked for their own suggestion and my new suggestion would be blocked for a price by gullible persons on internet.
    K Mohan

Gypsy, thanks for the guidance in #586027 - it was quite fascinating to see the dustbin appear like magic. I've been trying to make my way around using a mobile phone for the first time ever, that too a smartphone, and it is like a child excited to discover new things in a fairyland!

I was wondering about the "Inc" mentioned by K Mohan - isn't it a an abbreviation for 'Incorporation' and can be used as an acronym by people when they set up a new company? Can it be used in an email ID by individuals?

We must acknowledge that the email service providers are providing free services and in lieu of that, they are putting certain conditions and limitations so as to earn a profit for their survival and growth from the sources other than the email users. The users should, therefore, be not too finicky and agree to their terms and conditions. However, very sensitive data/information like financial details, credit card details/passwords etc. should not be exchanged through email.

Information about Gmail's features & Yahoo mail's features can be read in
    Gmail or Yahoo mail or outlook - what do you prefer & why? in my response #586169

I need some help with WhatsApp. Yesterday, when I tried to open an image my aunt sent, the message appeared on the screen 'To download media, allow WhatsApp access to your device's photos, media and files'.

I used the option 'Not Now' instead of 'Continue' as I do not understand this - why does WhatsApp want access to my photos & files? I never used to get this message earlier and was able to always open any image. Is it appearing now because I updated the device? That is, on Saturday I got a message that Mi update was required for the smart phone and I had tapped on that, as it indicated an update on security features.

Please let me know if it is safe to click on the 'Continue' option and give the access to WhatsApp.

Thanks Vandana for asking a doubt persisting in the minds of many. It is one kind of monopolistic exploitataion and business. I had raised the same doubt in Ask Expert question: How to give only selective permissions for apps in smartphones.
    I would watch for more answers and explanation onthis.

I decided to give the permission for access since I do want to open images sent to me & also like to send images via the attachment feature.

My next query is related to shopping in retail stores (not online): To date I have never used my ATM-cum-debit card for shopping, so would like to know a few things:
    1. We have to enter the PIN number, isn't it, in that hand-held device of the cashier when the card is slid in the device's slot? (I saw a YouTube video on this so know about that part at least!)
    2. What other things I need to take care of in terms of security if I use the card, such as preventing the cashier from doing any hera-pheri for example & misusing my card?
    3. What are the processing fees the bank will charge for using the card?
    4. Is there any limit on the number of times I can use the card for shopping at stores in a day?
    5. Is there any minimum or maximum limit on transactions? Supposing I need to buy something urgently that costs just Rs.50/- and I don't have the cash for it. Can the debit card be used for such a small transaction?

1. Yes, you have to enter PIN that is a 4 digit number.
    2. Never ask cashier or anyone else to help by telling them PIN.
    If you are new to use this, let a few person shop before you. You will know how much time it will take in responding, If a machine is working or not, because you may panic more in any unexpected situations. However there is no guarantee that still a technical problem may occur just on your turn.
    3. In current situation for transaction up to 2000 is tax free. For above 50,000 PAN number is essential.
    4. Limit is not on number of times it can be used but cards have upper limit of expenditure.
    5. It can be done for Rs.10 also. However felt not convenient.

Additional information: You must take print slip of any transaction. In case of any difference in your calculation and printed on slip you must check it properly.
    Everytime one SMS will be received. Even in case of online transaction OTP is required with CVV and PIN.
    In case you found that your card is being misused by someone, instantly you must rush to nearest ATM, and do some little transaction to confirm your location and in person presence. It will help you in getting your lost money back.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

In addition to what Chitra has said herein above,

1. Just black -out the CVV (the three digit no.) at the back of the card after memorizing it. Note it down somewhere for extra precaution. Still better to put a sticker on the blacked out CVV.

2. Never let anyone swipe your card out of your sight. The data is on the magnetic strip (black) on the back. Fraudsters keep a cloning machine under the counter side by side of the actual machine and they swipe the card on both the machines. The data is copied onto the cloning machine and a duplicate card is made later on. They have a glance at the CVV while swiping the card and memorize the CVV.

3. Make it a habit to not to be the first buyer in the line. Let someone else use his card first, watch what the man at the counter does. So, you will know what all needs to be done.

4. Never give a photo copy of your card to anyone in any case. It will be used to make a clone of the card like in #2.

5. Banks would not charge you anything for the transaction. They will charge the merchant 2-3% of the bill. So, if you are paying cash for anything, you can get 2-3% discount if you are a good bargainer.

6. Banks will charge you in seven ways (I could remember that much only for now)

a) They charge an annual fee. But it is waived off if you are a good bargainer. I have never paid any annual fee till date. Whenever they charge me anything like that at the time of renewal, I tell them to cancel the card and they waive off the charges & reverse the charges.
    b) If you buy something costlier, say above 10K, they will offer you an EMI scheme. If you accept that, you are charged 11- 18% interest depending on the card type, profile of the user & tenure of the EMI.
    c) In case of pre-approved loans, file charges are there.
    d) If you withdraw cash from ATM using a debit card, generally Rs 20 are charged if you use ATMs of other banks. No charges if you use the same bank's ATM.
    e) If you withdraw cash from ATM using a credit card, they charge a hefty interest like 3-5% on the amount withdrawn per month. Never do that if that can be avoided.
    f) Never default on your credit card payments to keep your profile healthy & a good CIBIL score. A good CIBIL score is a sure shot key to getting a loan if required. Postpone other payments if the need be, but never default on credit card payments. A hefty late fee is charged for late payments and it spoils your profile & CIBIL.
    g) Avoid falling for the minimum payment trap for credit cards. Again a hefty late fee is charged for payments and it spoils your profile & CIBIL.
    h) An annual fee for debit cards is charged from every customer. It is around 100 - 150 depending on the bank. In addition to that some banks charge an annual SMS fee (less than 100) for sending SMS to your registered number

7 Like Chitra said, there is no limit on the number of times you can use the card for shopping at stores in a day, but there is limit on the amount that can be spent in a day on POS (point of sale)

8. There is no minimum or maximum limit on transactions, but the merchant may not agree to take payment for smaller amounts using a card.

9. Never keep the card & its PIN together. Memorize the PIN and destroy the mailer from the bank.

10. Do not save card details on a shared computer. If you are the forgetful types (which I doubt), you can save the card number , PIN and CVV on your mobile, but in a coded way. For example your card's no is ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-LMNO. It can be saved something like this on your mobile:-

mobile no of Tony --- -999ABCD123
    mobile no of Gypsy---- 879EFGH123
    mobile no of Gypsy 2---- 819IJKL123
    mobile no of Tony 2 -- 999LMNO123

similarly for the CVV & PIN.

This is what I could recall off-hand. I will add whatever comes to my mind later on, if any. Feel free to ask in case of any doubt, no matter how silly the question may be. After all it is money.

And the ol' fashioned girl is welcome to the cashless world!

Hope that helps!

Here is another tip which may appear silly, but is very useful:-

If someone happens to be sending data in Excel sheets by attaching them to mails, then he should save the Excel file as a 'Text (tab-delimited) (*.txt)' file instead of saving it as an Excel file. The size of the 'Text (tab-delimited) (*.txt)' file will be almost 1/5th of the size of the Excel file with the same amount of data.

That way it becomes easier to upload & download the files, saving time and the amount of data transferred hence saving money. The data pack used will be less in case of transferring the Text (tab-delimited) (*.txt) file.

An Excel file can easily be saved as 'Text (tab-delimited) (*.txt)' file. Click on 'save as' option, then in the file format column just select the 'Text (tab-delimited) (*.txt) file' by pressing 'T' and press enter, then select the path and press enter again.

Just now I saved an Excel file in '.xlsx' format & in '.txt' format and then attached both the files to an email. The '.xlsx' format showed 11k data consumed & the '.txt' format showed just 2k data consumed. So, the Excel format (.xlsx) consumed 5.5 times more data transfer than the text (.txt).

There may not appear a big difference in 2k & 11k; just 9K to be precise, but this becomes significant when the size of the excel sheet is say 11MB. That time the '.txt' file will be around 1.5-2 MB only and the difference will be something around 9-9.5 MB.

It may appear to be too technical a thing, but it is not. It is very-very simple. Just try it out once to see how easy it is.

Gypsy,

As you know we would not like members to pull up threads older than 10 days. Hence I suggest that you could start a Part-2 fresh thread for further tips & guidance, with a link to this thread.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.