You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

Does the Managing Editor want to control our minds?

Refer this thread. I am stunned at your autocratic behaviour, despite getting a clarification from me. I don't remember telling you my response was associated with a person. Even if it were, it is what came to my mind – looking for another word would have altered the results and not served the purpose of the exercise.

What is offensive about this episode is that you provide your personal opinion on what you find offensive with my response - (which I also do consider offensive for the first word only even though there is a possibility of it being in reference to something else & not to a fellow-ISCian). Madam, you speak your mind but want to curtail how another's thoughts flow.

Let me add here that everyone's thoughts are not sinister. You looked at my post from your perspective (which, I am afraid saw just wickedness). I don't have to tell you this, but in your position you should always attempt to give a fair hearing to all and sundry and not let your personal opinions cloud your actions. I have mentioned this earlier as well, we are all different, we are exposed to different lifestyles, and our minds work differently.

I have been accused indirectly, by you, of being malevolent. It is unbecoming of someone in your position, to have done so. Personal opinions should not be made public when decisions that impact others are taken. I have been projected as an offensive person, because I presumably have knowledge of something that (perhaps) you do not.

To me, certain members of ISC are inconsequential – I do not let thoughts of them rule my mind or alter my thinking. You give people undue importance if you think anything remotely resembling their persona, is about them. You are wrong - I do not function that way.

I do not have to provide an explanation of why I put what I did in my response (that has been deleted and incurred minus points), nevertheless, I do so, to clear my name and show how opinionated you have been. The uninitiated may please Google 'Leviathan -The Idiot Sun' to DISCOVER the actual reason behind my response.

Should we start a worldwide petition to ban lyricists from using undesirable song titles that have a bearing on an ISCian's pseudonym?

I look through the crystal ball and see the future of this thread - LOCKED!
    Juana,

Please note that at the end of a long day working at the laptop and then at my workplace, I generally do not check out ISC or my mails. Yesterday, it was just by chance that I did check the forum and despite it being late decided it best to take action in that thread. I did not see your clarification till some few minutes earlier just now when I came online to check my mails.

I am indeed not a mind reader! I did find the word used as offensive so was just being honest about it, but also did mention that there could have been another reference usage. I was neither being autocratic nor imposing my personal opinions on your thoughts, but just taking instinctive, instant action as an editor, not to give importance to some other member but with the very simple reason to stop a volatile situation from getting out of hand (hence my response and the negative marking.) That was my only and totally honest intention, believe me, not to malign you at all.

I would also like to tell you that I do not see malevolence or wickedness in any member. It is not in my nature to do so. I apologize if this was what I conveyed.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun ¤

Juana, don't you think it is impossible? Controlling minds, common! If Vandana had asked you to restrain what you indulged (indulged) why should you feel so irritated? Why should you feel bad about being ticked off? How could you call a member an idiot and go off with it? Let us learn to respect each other! Language is in our hands but the dignity is as how we use it!
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Saji -
    "How could you call a member an idiot and go off with it?"

Have you questioned Chitra why she brought in a male member's name and asked members to give their first thoughts on him?

You are an editor and I think you should be intelligent enough to understand the context of things. Don't draw your own conclusions when facts are presented. I would expect someone of your stature to weigh and consider the points submitted, before badgering members.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want - Psalm 23:1

I was refraining from commenting with intention that two mature people are discussing it and they will get to a amiable conclusion.
    But when it is mentioned that 'I brought a name in between with intention to get reaction or first thought on him' I must come in to clear my stand.
    @Juana, if you really mean what you have stated in title and thread body and consider it wrong, then you are also doing same. Like attempting to control others thought/mind. Did you asked me 'why it was there' before blaming here. How you came to the conclusion? Just because you thought so? Just because it was your reaction?

And if you stated same to make them clear that it was not really intended this way, be clear on that. And believe me it is not just Vandana, Saji think this way, even when I read it, I thought same way and just in attempt of avoiding a discussion with you in that thread I didn't asked you to edit your answer. But EDITED my list of words the moment I realized what had happened.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

One more question, why she is rewarded with Rs.5 on this thread, Editors?
    For spoiling some fun game, for using such words to ME, for being able to talk like that to anyone or everyone?
    Not deleting, giving someone chance to put their stand is different and giving cash for encouraging anything is different.
    let's discuss it in detail, may be I will also get some encouragement as cash fora response.
    Edited: to remove comments on personal skills.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

Chitra - The question is posted to Saji, because he accused me of calling a member an idiot.

You clearly had the celestial object in mind when you posted the exercise - and my response was to that celestial object. I questioned Saji because he has misunderstood the term as the name of a member. It is in that context that the question is posed at Saji. If I am being accused of calling someone an idiot - then it means the post created was also about a member (which it was not). I have questioned Saji's double standards - on the one hand, he reads my response as an insult to a member and on the other understands (probably) the original word as an object.

I just read through your second post above. It is indeed your privilege to question editors about CC, but please don't bring in my writing skills into the discussion.

I had no intention of spoiling the exercise, which is why I posted the first thing that came to my mind. I did not pause to think of suitable words.

Juana,
    Be sincere,
    Was it your first thought of your mind after reading the word Sun?

Be Sincere.
    What struck in your mind after reading the word Sun?

Be sincere,
    Did you think about the celestial object Sun or the ISC member Sun after reading the word Sun?

Kindly be sincere to yourself and respond.

I am sure, even a fool will not think the celestial Sun as Idiot.

No life without Sun ¤

Juana,
    Indeed, your mention refers to object (Sun) in that thread. I don't find nothing wrong in it. But you would have avoided it as ISC Sun may misunderstand (Just a help for him).

Sun,
    The referred thread is a complete different version. If you so feel that it refers you only, then it is better to change your name to original name (you told earlier) or any other name.

Jeba.

Vandana,

I think your explanation deserves a response. There are a few things that are out of sync. You had seen my 'offensive' post during the day and not at night. You did not take any action then but reacted after a member launched a direct attack against me. I did not read the other member's response, but since your post says "…instead of hitting back at a lady member…" I assume it was foul. Your reaction was based on someone else's reaction to my response. My post was deleted to quell someone else's irritation.

You concur that you found the use of the word offensive, which means you automatically construed that I was at fault. You say you are not a mind reader, but you attempted to read mine, but made a wrong interpretation or else you let your own views supersede. If you actually thought "…there could have been another reference usage", then that should have shown in the action. You chose to delete the post and deduct points - I didn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Let me put some things in context here –
    1. Chitra initiated an exercise where she provided a list of inanimate things and wanted our first reactions to those words. The catch here is 'INANIMATE'. It was not about members and I don't see why a parallel was drawn.
    2. She categorically mentioned "Just very first response in a word to a word!"
    3. No member has a patent or a license for the exclusive use of the word under discussion – so why take offence.
    4. As already mentioned I find some members insignificant – I ignore them. I do not have the time and energy to deal with the negativities they create – nor are they or thoughts of them at the top of my mind. So, please do not assume that what I write is directed at anyone. I do not mince words – if I want to call someone an idiot I have the spunk to do so, on their face. I do not hide behind words and phrases to send my message across.

Let me share a little story here –

A kindergarten teacher graded a little girl poorly. When the worried parents questioned her, they were told the child didn't know much – her perception of the world was very poor. The teacher came to this conclusion based on colouring sheets the child filled with crayons. She coloured the cat red, the elephant blue and the mountains yellow.

The parents invited the teacher home. When the teacher got there they took her to the little girl's room. On the wall, of her bedroom, was a picture of a mountain, covered with yellow daffodils. On the bed was a stuffed elephant, made of blue velvet. On the floor was a red cat on wheels. The little girl's perception of things was based on her environment.

If you and Chitra and Saji and all the others had heard of 'The Idiot Sun' you probably would not have made such a big deal of my post. We judge others based on how we see things. I am part of a bigger world – outside of ISC – and thoughts of members rarely if ever, cross my mind.

Chitra - "Anything that comes to your mind instantly. Please try to avoid long thinking, it may just spoil the game." Your instructions, which I followed, but looks like you didn't really need the mind to work; you wanted answers that satisfied you.

Jebaprincy – The whole exercise would have been futile had I changed my response. The said member was not in my thoughts. Why should I avoid something because someone is touchy?

Juana you accept it or not but you could have avoided such situation, where a confrontation is possible. Even if you gave a thought to continue the exercise honestly, you could had skipped this word or may be just mentioning about the reference below response might had work.
    Stop pretending that what we all are thinking never came to your mind, while or after posting the response.

I needed mind work but believe me a good heart could have saved my thread, people time and effort paid to that and more importantly peace of our mind, you, ME, Sun, Saji, Jeba and me.

Now I guess no more discussion is required, as it is spoiling things to bad, I am initiating being sorry for that part happened wrong on my end and that was not preparing instructions beforehand. I went random, so is the result.
    I am sorry to Sun, I never realized it all may happen, I will try my best to avoid this in future. Sorry to all the members who participated there!Thank you.I promise next time it will be total fun only.

Regards:
    Chitra Rana

As an impartial Member, I would like to state that gun has been fired, bullet has left the barrel and damage has been done. Now all of us must try to prevent further damage. Everybody is right, everybody is wrong.

Now let us wait for another contest from Ms. Chitra Rana Raghav with clear and precise instructions, so that no scope of ambiguity remains.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Chitra please stop patronizing me.

If you truly wanted a 'mind game' then you should accept the answers as they were given. Don't change your stand just because the thread got derailed because of a member's tirade against me. You have turned your 'brain game' into a 'blame game'. First set your house straight before casting aspersions on others.

What do you mean I could have avoided the situation? Why should I have skipped the word when I had no malice in mind? Do you not understand when I see the word SUN I do not think of the ISC member. Can we stop this obsession with this word/man?

I do not pretend – I do not play games. In fact, I think you are enjoying this and did this on purpose. Don't pretend that you did not realize there was a member with that name when you created the list? I think you did it knowingly. Did that upset you? How does it feel to be accused? You are doing the same to me. You speak of 'good heart' but are coming back again and again with your criticism.

When you did not realize there was a member by that name (one that you are apologising to) when posting the list, why doubt my word about my response. 'Tum karo toh sahi, dusra kare toh galat - Chit bhi meri patt bhi meri'. You are presenting the most illogical justification for what you did.

Peace of mind – believe me you are ruining mine with your posts. Something which I think you could have avoided. I am spending valuable time responding to posts on this thread, time that I should be spending earning money. Do you think this is worth my while? I stand to gain nothing from this.

If the author of this thread is sincere enough, she should certainly respond to my response #586582 very honestly and sincerely touching her own heart. Otherwise, it is a futile exercise to discuss it here. In the absence of any response, it would be considered that it was a willful answer to degrade Sun.

@ Jeba: Your recommendation to change my name is incorrect, I remain as Sun forever as long as the earth rotates and ISC survives. I had very peaceful years bearing the name SUN, and I will see happy days ahead.

No life without Sun ¤

Juana, my double standards? I am bewildered! Can you give a response to Sun's query before blaming me? And be true to yourself! Juana, it is easy to play with words; but to convince is another forte!
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Level and standards of any website is primarily determined by its editorial team, not the contributors. Therefore, for raising the standard of ISC, the level and standard of its editorial team will have to upgraded by the Webmasters. Since this thread is raised in the forum section signifying all members can contribute regarding the subject matter, I have to add that irrespective of the merits of the ongoing discussion, I have also felt that the ME is sometimes going off the board in performing her editorial functions. Moreover, how ME of a website can opt for becoming inaccessible to the members by closing her PM facility?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Deleted.
    No life without Sun ¤

Mr Sun, let us be cool! I have deleted your response purposefully. Do bear with me lest you also call me names! Let us wait for a response from Juana.

Mr Saji,
    Don't make it as a practice to delete my responses which are genuine responses to the thread. Since I am a target, I should be respected and my words should be considered. My response contain no abusive language , absord, illegal and irrelevant information. I too can pressurise the author to respond to my question. Please bear with my responses.

No life without Sun ¤

Dear friends, I for one sincerely believe, Juana used the controversial word only in reference of the song 'The idiot Sun'. I am sure she didn't use the term in any derogatory way either to a person or the Sun of our solar system. That she used it in reference to the song only becomes all the more obvious, when you consider her awesome command over the English language. That she has an abundance of knowledge in the field of English literature is well known to all. I admit, due to my limited exposure to English literature, I had never heard about the song in reference. In the beginning I too was wondering what made her to comment in such a negative way. But her subsequent explanation made things clear and now I have no doubt that Juana referred it purely in reference to the song.

However, I have my full sympathies with Sun of ISC. Had it been anyone else, including me, he or she would have easily taken offence from the word that Juana chose to put. The word, even though it might have been put in reference to the song has a negative intonation and has everything in it to become controversial.

Even in SSB interviews there is a psychological test where a number of words flash on a screen for short durations. The candidates would have to make intelligent sentences from those words. The time is very limited and you get to pen down your first thoughts only. The evaluators not only check your sentence making and quick thinking skills but also check whether the sentences inspire positivity or negativity. In case of negativity, you will find it very difficult to get through SSB. The same is true with the word that Juana chose to put – it's a rough word. Juana, you may be technically correct, when you say that was your first thought and you played according to the rules. But beyond rules, one should also see that someone is not offended. The other person's dignity should matter too.

Arguments, counter-arguments we had them all. Now perhaps is the time to soothe our frayed tempers. 'Sorry', in contrast has a lot of positivity about it and can help solve squabbles in a jiffy. It was a clear case of misunderstanding between both sides. No one meant any harm to anyone. So why continue the fight any longer.

Patience and perseverance pays

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun ¤

Saji –

You want to listen to what you want to hear. You do not have the grace to accept another's view. Double standards – yes, I say that again - If you interpret the word SUN, as a member's name, then have the guts to question why it was placed on the list. Why were members asked to give their first thoughts on a male member? Don't be selective with what you find offensive. I am registering my complaint here – I found the use of a member's name and other members being asked to respond with their first thoughts on him, as highly objectionable. What will you do about it?

"Can you give a response to Sun's query before blaming me?" – Your comment shows exactly where you stand. My response to you was made BEFORE the comment you ask a response to. Your post clearly indicates that you have already taken sides on this matter and are not allowing logical thinking. Let me repeat to you what you said in your post. It is easy to play with words, but to convince is another forte. I think you realize how miserably you have failed at convincing. It is time for you to be true to yourself.

Since when have you started interfering with whom members should respond to? Did you ask that I be given a chance to explain myself in the thread under discussion? Was the member who went on a tirade against me in the other thread asked to wait for my response? How is the current thread offensive to anyone? Why are you advocating for answers to a member's queries? Are you and this member that you are supporting not derailing the thread? Is this not against the forum's policy? Are you not instigating him to do so with your posts? You and the others will not be satisfied until you hear what you think is the truth. It's a pity that an explanation that's been provided is not being understood.

It's a shame that you allow a member to repeatedly spew venom in this thread and ALL YOU DO is ask him to be patient. You prefix his name with a 'Mr', You ask him to be cool. You ask him to bear with you. You hint that he might "also call you names". You are fine with the member calling me names and his character assassination of me. If this isn't a blatant show of double standards, then I wonder what is? The member does not stop, because you encourage him or rather should I say you goad him. You turn a blind eye to his offensive behaviour because you support his views. I do not see any harshness in dealing with him – only requests! There is a marked difference in the way you have addressed his posts and mine. Does it not reek of double standards?

Let me remind you that this thread was raised as an explanation. This thread is not for some member to butt in with their complaints and objections. The member got his chance to raise an objection in the thread that was closed. This post is not for you to come in support of a member and ask me to provide explanations to him to a matter that happened in another thread - which is locked. This thread would not have seen the light of day had there been a wilful intent behind my response. I would have remained silent as the deed was done, and the matter closed? I could have sat back and gloated. I would not have made myself vulnerable to this attack. Should you not be telling the member that an explanation has already been provided - you join him and continue to HARASS me with your demand that an explanation is given to him. Your bias is so obvious. If you are incapable of understanding this then I have nothing more to say.

Just remember I do not play games. Nor do I mince words. What you see is what you get. If I have to say something I say it to the face.

Very bad is the attitude of the editor who deleted my response that explains the valid reason and seeking the explanation. Despite my humble request, the editor deleted my response containing the information supporting my explanation.

If this is the attitude, how can we discuss to justify our stand and sort out the issue?

I hope this response also might get deleted. If done, there is no use of continuing my membership at ISC. The time would say Good Bye ISC.

No life without Sun ¤

What is the use of keeping this thread open for discussion when Editors have no patience to read and understand the reality, but has the tendency to delete the valuable responses from the concerned member. Why not simply conclude and say that the Managing Editor has the authority to control the members mind and lock the thread to receive no further responses from the affected?
    Dear ISC, Please do it to avoid the members wasting their time and energy in useless discussion.

Since the author is not sincere enough to answer my three simple questions which requires one word answer, despite repeated reminders, it will be wise to lock the thread without any conclusion.

I wish to conclude saying that the author has taken advantage of the contest to take revenge of the past events against her hatred member by fitting in a word against the member.

No life without Sun ¤

Going through the chain of posts in this thread I find that members (including an editor) have used phrases like 'stop pretending' 'be true to yourself' among other things. I assume it is fine for them to air their views – irrespective of the fact that they are actually being dictatorial. They are allowed liberties because they are unanimous.

My responses have so far failed to satisfy them. All they want is for me to concede that I called a member an idiot. So, let me satisfy their whim. I've stopped pretending and am being true to myself like I have never been before - I did call a member an idiot. Does that set things straight! Now, don't come back asking for more – I am not Santa to grant every wish of yours.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a great year ahead.

Juana,
    Finally you have accepted that what are you up to. My sincere advice to you is - Never ever show your hatred feeling in an open virtual forum. Be a good lady of the forum and continue with your standard contribution befitting your status. Best wishes.

No life without Sun ¤

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.