You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

My dilemma: Should I indicate that I understand Nepali?

The man is a Bengali from north Bengal. The lady is a Nepali. The name of their shop is 'Darjeeling Momos'. All the employees of the food-shop are Nepali. The shop is a very famous food-joint of our locality.

Both husband-wife are very fluent in Hindi. They talk to their customers in Hindi. But when they came to know that I am Bengali, the man has started speaking to me in Bengali. The lady also tries to speak to me in broken Bengali.

Now the problem part. The husband and wife converse between themselves in Nepali. They give directions to their employees in Nepali. Sometime they discuss/direct to put less meyonese, use less amount of chilli sauce, less ingredients, etc. And I understand everything because I understand Nepali perfectly, although I have forgotten to speak that language.

It is a dilemma for me. Should I indicate that I know Nepali and can clearly understand their business conversation, or should I behave in such a manner that I don't understand what they are discussing. Can anybody guide me?
    Since you are only a customer to that hotel, you can converse with them in Nepali. They will be very pleased to have you as their customer. Why to act or pretend? Be honest and truthful to yourself. Nothing will go wrong.
    No life without Sun ¤

Some times it gives great pleasure to see the conversation against us though we know the language and wont reveal to others. In this case I advise you to pretend not knowing Nepali and try to enjoy all the nuances being done and even scolding. Once in Secunderabad there was a textile fair and naturally the companies participated were from Tiruppur in TN and the sales girls are also from that area. While shopping I was inquiring about various varieties and rates. Annoyed over my repeated asking of rates, the girl was murmuring in Tamil that this customer is waste and wont buy anything. But I wanted to teach them a lesson and after some time I asked them to say the rate again in Tamil. And now they begged pardon to me and asked to excuse. I advised them that Hyderabad is cosmopolitan city and people from all states live here and there fore they cannot under estimate the people by face.

K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Sun: There is no question of honesty here! Whenever I go to their shop (I go there frequently-at least twice every week), and overhear their business conversation as if I don't understand what they are conversing in Nepali. Once, I went to their shop early afternoon. I found that no employees or customers arrived at that time, and the couple was having romantic talk (instead of business discussion) in Nepali. I gave an excuse to the man in Bengali and left the shop.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Partha,
    I never knew that their business talk was connected to romance. If you really love to watch others romantic talks, then you need not to disclose your Nepali identity. All the best. Share your joy with romance loving ISCians, if possible.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Sun: Before commenting in a ridiculous manner, why don't your read slowly and carefully? My sentences were: "Once, I went to their shop early afternoon. I found that no employees or customers arrived at that time, and the couple was having romantic talk (instead of business discussion) in Nepali. I gave an excuse to the man in Bengali and left the shop".

You missed the word 'Once' and then the entire second sentence, and made your ridiculous comment.

Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

In the situation mentioned by you, I feel it is better to let them know that you understand Nepali language. It will be embarrassing for them and to you if they come to know at a later time that you can understand Nepali language.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I agree with the opinion of KVRR @ 586772. It is better to let them know that you understand Nepali because if the same is revealed or becomes known to them at a later stage, it would be a really embarrassing situation especially because you are a regular customer there.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

When you hide something it sounds like you are dealing with your brain but when you are open about anything it means you are going by your heart. Here I feel if you know the language and already a regular customer so there is nothing unusual that you can expect even by hearing their conversation and understanding it too. I feel you should reveal to them that you know the language as this can make a bonding more stronger than the present one. People connection first starts with language. If you speak a language of a locality, you are more welcome there and they will feel you are not a stranger one.
    Farid Akhtar
    ISC-Joined for fun but learn and earn.

Sign In to post your comments