You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Sportspersons of 2016 (except cricket)-Part I

2016 is coming to a close. Now it's time to retrospect-to understand what we have achieved during the outgoing year. In the arena of sports, like every year, the spotlight goes to cricket thanks to superlative performance of Virat Kohli, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja and newcomer Karun Nayar. But many sportspersons from other disciplines have made the country proud in 2016. Some of these successful sportspersons of 2016 are:-
    (i) PV Sindhu (Badminton): She has won silver in the Rio Olympics. She has also taken sweet revenge defeating Carolina Marin later in World Super Series later.
    (ii) Sania Mirza (Tennis): This experienced tennis player has maintained her No. 1 doubles ranking in women's tennis in 2016 along with Martina Hingis.
    (iii) MC Mary Kom (Boxing): This world-renowned woman boxer has come out of retirement in 2016 and is fighting in a more comfortable weight category.
    (iv) Sakshi Malik (Wrestling): This woman wrestler from Haryana has overcome many hurdles to win the bronze medal in 2016 Olympics in her weight category.
    (v) Deepa Karmakar (Gymnastics): This young teeen-ager from Tripura has put India in the world map of gymnastics. It is simply bad luck that she missed a medal in Rio-2016 by a whisker.

In the next part, I would mention names of some more sportspersons who have made India proud in 2016.

........(To be continued)
    As the year is going to end, it is our duty to respect and regard those persons who have excelled in all kinds of sports and brought laurels to our country. Even this was done by our own Prime Minister Narender Modi when he congratulated all the sports persons by name during the Mann ki Baath program on radio and that signifies the importance of sports persons who not only bring name and fame for themselves, they also enhance the prestige of our country world wide and in that process we get recognized and regarded much in every arena. My hearty best wishes and congrats to all those sports achievers.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.