You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why we use this symbol if we forgot something between the two words?

As we often see in a sentence If they missed some thing written on two words they use this symbol right on top of it they write the missing word. What is that symbol in English denotes? Is it comes under punctuation mark. Is it a valid symbol in English? Do other languages follow the same notation?Knowledgeable members please respond to the question?

Here is the image for you....
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

Delete Attachment

It is a simple common symbol to understand. It indicates the word(s) appearing above to be read between the words where the symbol appears. We can call it as insert symbol.
    No life without Sun

It is called - CARET and not an insert symbol. It is a punctuation mark.

It can be written on a computer by ALT 094

Sample:- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Good to know the caret that is used to insert. Thanks to Gypsy.
    No life without Sun

Yes, as pointed by Gypsy, it is indeed called a 'caret'.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Juana,

Is it not a punctuation mark?!

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

I deleted that comment Gypsy.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Juana,

My bad! Apologies.

Can we have a punctuation mark above the caret? Is it grammatically correct?
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

The symbol is called the caret and it is used to insert a highlighting word to give more thrust to the sentence. For example " we are time keepers to the nation" here if we want to add the word "right" with that symbol it will surely highlight the sentence as we are right time keepers to the Nation.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

My doubt is - It was alright to have the caret mark while we make manual correction to add some words in between the words. What is the need to use caret in computers when we can add the words by editing it using the insert key. Moreover, how it could be a standard punctuation mark? I think it is a newly introduced special punctuation mark.
    No life without Sun

Duplicate.

The caret symbol can be used to indicate a missing punctuation mark also. In the manual system of writing, a caret is used as a proofreading mark to indicate the space where a punctuation mark, word, or phrase should be inserted in a document.

The caret is an inverted V-shaped grapheme. Inverted caret symbol is also used as a proofreading mark. It is written below the line of the text, in case a line level punctuation mark e.g. a comma is missing. However, it is written above the text line in the form of an 'inverted caret' in case a higher character such as an apostrophe is missing. The material i.e. word or punctuation mark to be inserted may be placed inside the caret, in the margin or above the line.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sun,

It is not a newly introduced punctuation mark. On the contrary, it is a very old punctuation mark. In fact I lay my hands on a very old & partially torn 1939 English - English dictionary, when I was in 11th standard. I came across caret in that dictionary in the punctuation section.

The very next day during my English class I asked my English teacher - Sir, what is caret in punctuation? He did not know the answer and told me to sit down. He left the class without answering the question. In the next English class, he wrote a sentence on the blackboard and deliberately left a word in it. Then he put that caret mark and wrote the missing word. Then he threw a piece of chalk at me and told me that the mark to indicate the missing word is called a caret. I did not say anything and just smiled back. He then asked me whether I knew the answer the day before also, and I did not have any other option but to lie.

My English teacher Mr Chutani & I became good friends after that.

I asked so many people about it after that and surprisingly I have not met even a single person till now who knows what is a caret in punctuation.

Gypsy,
    If Caret was there in 1939, why the same caret is missing in the present day Grammar books and Dictionaries? What could be the reason for forgetting the caret and not including it as a punctuation mark in the latest English grammar books taught to the students? Is it not an out fashioned punctuation?

No life without Sun

Sun,

The absence of caret from the present day English grammar books can be attributed to the increasing usage of computers in every field. Moreover, it is rarely used as this is a mistake which anybody seldom makes since one comes across the missing word when he checks the content before hitting the enter button.

Additionally, there are so many other punctuation marks which very few people know about and these punctuation marks too cannot be found in present day grammar books. For example -

a sarcmark (a symbol for sarcasm) or
    an interrobang or
    a rhetorical question mark or
    an acclamation point or
    a certitude point or
    a love point or
    a doubt point or
    an authority point or
    a snark mark or
    an exclamation comma or
    an exclamation question comma etc...

By the way, if one searches for the meaning of caret in a reputed dictionary, he will find it mentioned there for sure!

Hope it suffices & helps!

Gypsy,
    So we can say that the punctuation marks in use are the regular, popular and standard punctuation marks. Caret like punctuation marks are the forgotten, ignored, rare, irregular, unpopular, and unused punctuation marks which has no relevance to present day communication.

No life without Sun

Sun,

As usual, you are making irrelevant statements to suit your designs. You may infer whatever you want to infer. No issues.

By the way, if you just go through the school copies of English of your wards, you will see the caret mark being used even today by teachers. So, it does have a relevance even today, in my view!

Caret, per se is not a punctuation mark as such. Instead, it is a grapheme.

Kailash,

The resource you referred to still needs 'additional citations for verification'.

Gypsy - Let us not beat about the bush. My point is that a 'caret' is not a punctuation mark as narrated by you in your previous posts. Please elucidate that very point.

I mentioned my source as a 1939 English-English dictionary. At the back of the dictionary was a section for punctuation marks from where I came to know about it.

By the way, since when have you developed this habit of 'not beating about the bush'?!!! That was a news to me!

I am not grammar expert. However, as far as I know this symbol is used to insert a word which we have missed / or need to present while writing in notes where we do not have any space and it cannot erase due to space constraint or it may look bad. (specific not computers). Taught by our teachers and till date my children also use it if they miss word while writing notes.

---------simple.
    This is my version of using the caret symbol. As I would not go back and erase
    the whole ^ sentence and type or write again.

As per dictionary it say - word that needs inserted / without editing the text / para.

Thanks
    Handling Question Paper Section

This is a very fascinating discussion! I was aware of caret as a symbol to indicate a missing word, but have never really put my mind to it as to whether or not it is a punctuation mark. When Gypsy mentioned an old dictionary, I went to check the oldest one I have, which has my Dad's name on the first page and the year 1959. It is the Oxford Pocket Dictionary and has the initial pages filled with accents, inflexions, abbreviations and pronunciations but no list of punctuation. I looked up the meaning of caret in it and it is given as an omission mark. As such, caret is used in the space between two words, just like a punctuation - but does it play the role of general punctuation like a comma, full stop, question mark, colon, etc. has created a doubt whether or not it is right to refer to it as a punctuation mark.
    Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Again we are straying from the main issue.

Punctuations are used to create sense, clarity and stress in sentences.

I wonder why we are referring the old dictionaries when many online dictionaries and other resources are available nowadays to refer.

No life without Sun

As per all the responses above it is a caret but it does not come under punctuation mark. Some of the symbols are done by us only it is not mentioned in English grammar book. Its like we use short form's in social media, that also is copied from some user. So these symbols or short forms are like contagious which is copied from one user to other user.

Gentlemen,

It is all very well to have a light banter once in a while and we don't mind some humour now & then to enliven the forum. However, to constantly do it in every thread & derailing it off the topic under discussion loses the thread's efficacy. You can interact via the messaging system or personal emails if you want to indulge in offside interaction. Stick to playing on the main field please.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

It is now time to interact seriously without derailing from the intended discussion on caret. we cannot simply agree that caret is a punctuation. Caret is only an indication mark to indicate an insertion of a word(s) between two words. Members can get into serious fascinating discussion now.
    No life without Sun

This is a caret and it is not punctuation mark. Puctuation mark is the part of the sentence. This is not part of the sentence. It is used to indicate the ommitted letter or word.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Apostrophes are also called a punctuation mark. Apostrophes(') are defined for a word not for a sentence.

• Sign In to post your comments