You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Along with the family, the 'Vastu' snakes also left the land

June 1950 - Palong Village (now Shariatpur Town), East Pakistan (now Bangladesh):

On the cloudy, rain-drenched, depressive morning, two bullock carts were waiting in front of the building. Essential items were loaded. Jewelries and ornaments were taken in two boxes. Clothes were taken in suitcases and trunks. All other items including heavy furnitures were left behind.

The main door was initially locked. Later, the head of the family opened the door and handed over the keys to Gulab Khan, the family's manager. He handed over the papers of the land and the spacious wooden house to Gulab. He had made a will to hand over all landed properties of the family to Gulab Khan and his son Toofan Khan.

The essential items and jewelries were kept in the carts. The family members didn't know at that time that later they had to leave every item at Goaland Ghat Railway station, and would cross to partitioned India almost as pauper. The family members, for the last time, touched their home and the sacred soil. The family's bathing 'ghat', washing 'ghat', fishing 'ghat' were visited for the last time. The young members touched the roses of their famous rose garden. They bowed down and paid respect to the samadhis of two recently deceased members of the family. They bowed down before the sacred 'Tulsi' plant. Ultimately they came out.

The entire school was waiting. The Headmaster and another teacher were leaving. The family which gave the school the best students over the years, were leaving the land. The neighbours came out. The Hindu neighbours were openly crying. The Muslim neighbours were bewildered. However, Gulab Khan and Toofan Khan were dead silent, but their red eyes were telling everything. Even Gulab's wife came out. She was also crying behind her 'burkha'.

The bullock carts slowly commenced their journey. The long, serpentine 'kachcha' road was waiting before them. Suddenly, very suddenly-two snakes came out from two corners of the land. They also started moving along the bullock carts. After some time, these two snakes left the road and went down to the surrounding paddy field.

Along with the family, the 'Vastu' snakes also left the land. Since then till today, no family could stay in the land permanently. The ownership of the land gets transferred very frequently.

(N.B. Although I am posting this in 'Creative Writing' category, this is a true event which I have heard from my forefathers.)
    After reading this story my thoughts went to my father's village which was also backward and near that village there seems to be fear of ghost existence and hence no one lives there in those times. In villages even a small rumor would turn out to be a great action from them for ever.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Thanks for reading this thread. However, this thread is not related to ghost or rumour.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

A small request to the concerned Editor(s). Can it be shifted to 'Articles' section?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Sign In to post your comments