You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why so hostility on language?

In India different languages are spoken by people of different regions. This is an indication of diversity of our country. We say India is a united country, there is unity in diversity. But is it really so? I have seen people showing hostility to each other on the basis of language they speak.They don't like to talk or mix up with a person speaking a different language than theirs. They consider their language as supreme and expect other people to learn it too. This problem is especially faced by people who leave their region and go to some other place for the purpose of jobs etc.

What you all have to say about this? Has anyone faced such situation ever? How you think this problem can be solved? What a person facing such a situation should do?
    For everyone their language is supreme and nothing can say about it. When I go to another region from my place, either I have to learn the language of that region or I should speak the language which can be understand by them. I can't expect them to speak in my language.
    Thanks,
    Suresh.

Yes I am facing daily. As the author mentioned people who talk of same language think they are supreme and expect others to follow them. Actually there is a problem in their thinking only. Our mother tongue is tulu but accept our relations, I always talk in local language to everybody whoever knows our language also. I come across such people when I go to pick my children.

Knowing different language stands to our advantage. It is better to know many languages where ever you are staying. For example our children have the advantage of learning many language. Tamil being mother tongue they know very well. Telugu is the local language and they are well versed in reading , writing and talking. Hindi is the compulsory subject in school and college and English is the basis of medium. So from the young age our children are exposed to 4 languages and surely they will talk with those who are talking in that language and that cannot be termed as attitude or hostility to other language.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes, I did travelled the same path as others have mentioned in this forum. While I was placed for training in Noida, people were like you from south, and they would be like they are the kings. Even though I know Hindi not so fluent while speaking (thanks to school system where they reluctantly taught me, now its really helping me).

And to the Mr. Mohan point, people tend to learn other languages only on need basis. As already, you have mentioned English and Hindi children's learn as it is mandatory as per their curriculum. And since they would have been brought up in AP from birth, it's easy to learn and the effort is really appreciable.

But the problem arises when a grown up travels to different region of country where other languages are spoken. People tend to reply in their own language even they know the common language - English. Don't know why people are start looking divided state wise nowadays.

Some times peace is better than being Right!!!

I fully agree with the author's point of view. But we are fortunate to be ruled by the British who left English in our country. No regional language is perfect without English. Every sentence we speak contains one or more English words. We cannot do away with English. English has become part and parcel of our life. So, if one can speak little English, they can survive anywhere in India.
    No life without Sun ¤

I have not seen any hostility in individual levl. Collectively or under a political orchauvinist group, sometimes these prejudices show up.
    Every one likes to be in his own comfort zone. So whenever someone finds a person speaking his own language, he tries to be more close to him and together they become a group. It is the growth of such group that is resented by others. One should be open-minded and try to learn the language of the place. He should mingle with the people of other languages equally as he mingles with people speaking his own mother tongue. That will reduce the prejudices.

Unfortunately one time o other people try to joke about another's language. It is the necessity of a migrant to learn and assimilate the new language of his place of emigration or visit. So the efforts should come from him first and fast.
    All said and done, some prejudices will remain. It is best to ignore that.

I fully agree with the author's point of view about the feeling of language in different part of the country. Though they know the Hindi or English but still pretend as if they do not know.
    As Mr. Mohan said our children know 4 language.If your wards happen to work in Bengol or assom, these all 4 will be no of use. How many local languages are there in India? It is more that 1600. how many can and will you learn? Everyone should know hindi and english compulsory and for the inter state people or inter region people Hindi and English should be as work as link language.

I am a Bengali settled in Delhi. During my initial days, I faced light banter to ridicule for my language. However, as an extremely sensitive person in respect of my language and culture and also about my religion, I never hesitated to pay back in the same coin. Nowadays, nobody dares to ridicule my beautiful Bengali language in front of me.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Yes everyone loves their language and want to be in that comfort zone, also yes children learn different languages and this is good for them. But local people of a region, though might be knowing hindi or english refrain from speaking them. This I too have experienced. They want us to speak to them in their local language which a person takes time to learn. Also in front of us they will start speaking in their language though they know we are not understanding. There is no feeling of unity or support left in most of the people, though exceptions still exist. When the national language hindi is known to everyone, i feel that it should be spoken by everyone especially when they are talking to a person who is not knowing their local language. Also there should be no force on an outsider to learn the local language of the region. Where is the freedom then?

I feel things are changing a lot in India, yes political interference adds fuel to the fire.

Regards,
    Deepika

I am agree with the author's point of view. Everyone considers his/her mother tongue superior than others language. So, they wish that if others want to communicate then they must learn our language. I had noticed this discrimination with the North Indians when they visit South Indian states like Maharashtra, Tamilnadu, Karnataka and other states. Maharashtra gives least priority to people hailing from UP, Bihar as they are Hindi speaking people. While, if you consider Chennai and nearby regions, then they don't talk so frankly with North Indian people just because others don't speak their language. However, it is good to note that English binds everyone in the country as slowly and steadily people are learning English. And, English is spoken in every part of the country.
    With regards,
    Ravi
    "Time & Tides waits for none"

Sign In to post your comments