You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Write meaning of a following figurative extract.

In this thread I am placing some of the lines from a philosophical extract having a touch of some poetic elements also where the writer figuratively wants to say something. Involve yourself with his perception and try to write the meaning of what he actually tries to say or mention in the following paragraph.

"He thought of himself as a tree whose every leaf wanted to bask in sunshine freely, but was mounted with layers of dust and sand, cursed by moving things nearby, people, motors-everything passing by. So he, the tree, was hoping to get some breeze flowing; to have all the dust wiped away by her, but as luck would betray his desires, he would encounter an intimidating wind who would, in turn, not only blow heaps of dust over him, but also would hover around him furiously, and make his trunk ache."
    Let me try and this is my understanding of this paragraph :

The father thinks himself as the tree where he works hard to earn for the family to keep everyone happy. He himself wanted to live a joyful life, so he works day in and out. But still the fruits of his work are very less, as he faces lots of hurdles from society, betrayal of friends and relatives. He still hopes he will be able to live up one day as per his wish, once his son's get into jobs and take up. But the sons also betrayed and move out following their own love/personal interest which comes as a bigger blow than the other hurdles/betrayal which he has to overcome. After all of the hard times of pain, Son betrayal hurts more than any other and he is aged now which makes the things worse and much painful.

Some times peace is better than being Right!!!

The beauty of a well-crafted prose lies in the immense possibilities of interpreting the same by different people differently, often the way they wish. A typical example is the interpretations of the verses of mythological epics. Perhaps the original authors of the epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata themselves have not intended to communicate, what is being documented in the research thesis of the scholars earning Ph.D.'s and D.Litt.'s in various universities.

Regarding the excerpts cited by the author my interpretation is as follows -

The author is trying to blame the society for his failures in achieving the intended reforms.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I see a great deal of distraught in above lines. We all have dreams and we all want to bask in the glory. But we don't understand that a sword has to be beaten harder again and again to retain it's sharpness and strength. Author tries to blame life,fate and people sojourning him. But he forgets that it was the result of his past actions. We don't always make right choices. Be thankful for the rightful ones and be grateful for the wrong ones because your wrong decisions taught you so much. But blaming it on someone is completely out of question. Be responsible for your actions. Relying on fate will only lag you behind.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Sign In to post your comments