You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

How to decide how many exclamations has to be placed after end of sentence

We Knew that English Grammar contains several punctuation marks in that exclamation mark is one many of us use this exclamation mark in the sentence, but some people use three or four exclamation marks after the end of sentence some people will use only one exclamation mark at the end of the sentence. So how to decide how many exclamation marks has to be placed at the end of a sentence. Is there any grammar rule for that? Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question
    Some people want to dominate while talking and so is the case when they are writing too. By putting so many exclamation mark, they may try to garner the attention of the reader. But it is not so. As far as my knowledge goes one exclamation mark us enough to express your view and that is suffice to get the attention and reactions from the readers or respondent. Over the period of time the English language has been used to the whims and fancies of some who are arrogant and wont follow the set rules of the language and thus try to pollute others minds also in that regard.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Bhushan,

This thread ought to have been posted in the Education >> Improve Your English category instead of in the category of General >> Miscellaneous. Also, please do make an effort to work on grammar & make the necessary corrections after submitting a thread or a response. It helps others to learn too when we post things right.

Keep smiling...one day life will get tired of upsetting you.

A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

Bhushan,

Since you have raised a separate thread about how to correct spelling & grammar errors, we will discuss it there & not take the topic of this thread off track.

A good writer will use only one exclamation mark, while the mad writers use as many exclamation mark as they feel like. One is good. More than one mark can be termed as Mad exclamation mark.
    What a good thread to discuss about exclamation mark!

No life without Sun

Punctuation mark is always used in a statement expressing a strong feeling or excitement ends with an exclamation mark(!)
    For Example:-
    What a beautiful day it is!

As per my view, only one exclamation mark needs to be used at the end of a sentence since it is a punctuation mark and so should follow the rule of all punctuation of being single. However, many people do use more than one. Generally they put 2 or 3. I myself do use more than one, the reason being for emphasis or to express a little extra giddy excitement and neither because, as Mohan states, to garner attention, nor because, as Sun implies, I am mad. (Sun - be careful what type of adjectives you use. In one stroke you have labelled a whole lot of writers in a disparaging manner, including ISCians!)

I do think too that there are a lot of people who needlessly use an exclamation mark in the title of a piece they are writing or in the text. You will often see text liberally sprayed with the exclamation mark at the end of tons of sentences. It is very annoying.

The language should speak itself. Simply putting more exclamation marks is not of any use. In fact plane sentences make bigger sense than ornamental exclamation marks. As some members have already indicated, I am also of the view that one exclamation mark is sufficient.
    Knowledge is power.

I think one exclamation mark is more than sufficient. It is the content that attracts a reader not the number of exclamation marks. Sometimes people blindly follow the trends in social media - you can say a type of fashionable thing going on. Such trends are basically non academic and should be ignored by the serious readers.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments